RIVERDALE, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team fell in straight sets (25-17, 25-16, 25-13) to defending Skyline Conference champions Mount Saint Vincent on Thursday evening in their 2019 season finale.
How it Happened
St. Joseph's (7-13, 4-7 Skyline) used a 6-1 run to take a 9-7 lead early in the first. The Dolphins (16-9, 9-2 Skyline) responded with a 9-2 run of their own to take back the lead and carried it into a 25-17 set win.
Mount Saint Vincent opened the second stanza with a 12-4 lead before the Bears closed the gap with a 6-1 spurt highlighted by two kills and three-straight service aces from Cristina Morales (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) to cut the deficit to 13-10, but SJC couldn't cut the deficit any further falling 25-16.
The Bears led briefly early in the third, but were held to just three kills in the frame as the hosts closed out their ninth league win of the year with a 25-13 set win to clinch third place.
For the Bears
- Freshman Teuta Hoxha (Kew Gardens, N.Y./Queens Metropolitan) slammed six kills at a .357 clip to pace the attack also adding five digs.
- Morales chipped in three kills with as many aces also bringing up nine aces.
- Senior Valentina Urgo (Astoria, N.Y./St. John's Prep) also contributed three kills and nine digs. Urgo finishes her four-year career for the Bears ranked fourth all-time in digs (816), ninth in kills (435), ninth in aces (149)
- Briana Marrazzo (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) anchored the defense with 10 digs and had two digs. She concludes her four years on the squad third in digs (834), tied for sixth in blocks (66), eighth in kills (458), 10th in aces (148),
- St. Joseph's wraps up their fifth season in the 12-team league in eighth place.