PATCHOGUE, N.Y. — In their first conference bout of 2017, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team took on sister school SJC Long Island in Patchogue. The Bears kept it close in the second and third sets, but couldn't overcome the Golden Eagles in a 3-0 sweep.
- Final Score: SJC Long Island 3, SJC Brooklyn 0
- Set Scores: 25-12, 25-22, 25-19
- Records: SJC Long Island (3-9, 1-1), SJC Brooklyn (2-3, 0-1)
- Location: Patchogue, N.Y. — Danzi Center
How It Happened
- SJCLI ran out to a 12-4 lead to start the first set, and would later see their lead grow to 24-12. Claire Urizzo had four kills for the Golden Eagles in the first, with her fourth kill coming as the final point in a 25-12 set victory.
- In the beginning, the second set looked like a repeat of the first, with the home team holding a 19-11 lead. However, the Bears surged for a 6-0 run, powered by a kill and a block from freshman Tiffany Garcia-Lawson (Floral Park, N.Y./St. John's Prep). This brought SJCBK within two, but they couldn't come all the way back, falling 25-22.
- The third set was well contested, as the Golden Eagles clung to a 14-13 lead. Late in the stanza it was still tight, as the home team's lead was just two, 19-17. Sophomore Paige Csikortos (Rocky Point, N.Y./Rocky Point) facilitated the Bears' offense, dishing out five of her 14 assists in the third.
- A 6-2 run for SLJCLI would prove to be the difference, with the home team taking the final set 25-19, and the match 3-0.
For the Bears
- Csikortos was strong defensively, with six digs to go along with her 14 assists.
- Garcia-Lawson delivered six kills and two blocks, which was good enough to lead the Bears in points with eight and a half.
The Bear Facts
- The loss drops the Bears to 3-8 all time against SJC Long Island, with their last win coming on Oct. 18, 2008.
Next Up for the Bears
- A return to non-conference play, with a tri-match on Saturday (Sep. 30) featuring Cedar Crest and Staten Island. First serve is set for 11 a.m. against Cedar Crest and 3 p.m. against Staten Island. Live stats and video available at SJCBears.com.