BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Senior Lauren GaNun (Breezy Point, N.Y./Fontbonne Hall) slammed a match-high 20 kills as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team forced a forced a fourth set after dropping the opening two frames to, but would come up short, 3-1, against the College of Staten Island on Wednesday evening in their 2015 home opener at The Hill Center.
How it Happened
- With SJC leading 8-7 early in the opening frame, a 6-0 run for the visitors capped by back-to-back kills by Selma Kolenovic built enough separation to give the Dolphins a 25-16 set victory.
- In the second stanza, the Lady Bears fell behind early, trailing 6-1, before storming back to win the next 10 points on the serve of Nina DiCioccio, who landed three aces in the spurt. But the run wasn't enough momentum for SJC as the visitors came back to take the lead and the Lady Bears erased two set points before falling 25-23.
- St. Joseph's took control of the third set from the outset and held an 18-11 advantage before eight unanswered for the Dolphins allowed them to take the lead. With the support of the large home crowd at the Hill Center, the Lady Bears didn't back down and regained the lead on back-to-back GaNun kills and took the set on a pair of Dolphin miscues.
- The teams traded the lead early in the fourth before CSI pulled away midway through the set with an 8-3 run and pulled away with their best hitting set of the frame (11 kills, .172) to close out the match.
For the Lady Bears (2-3)
- GaNun recorded her second double-double of the season adding 13 digs to her season-best 20 kills and six digs.
- Anna Carbone also logged her second double-double of the season dishing out 24 assists with 18 digs.
- Nina DiCioccio fell one kill shy of a double-double with nine kills and a match-high-tying 19 digs, also landing three aces.
For the Dolphins (5-4)
- Selma Kolenovic registered a 12-dig, 10-kill double-double on an efficient .474 hitting night.
- Siobhan Granich led the Dolphins with 13 kills
- The Dolphins extend their winning streak to a season-best three games and have now won the last three meetings against St. Joseph's, but the Lady Bears still hold an 9-4 advantage in the all-time series.
Next Up for the Lady Bears
St. Joseph's will play their first Skyline Conference match facing Mount Saint Mary College on Sunday, September 27 at 10 a.m. at SUNY College at Old Westbury. Live stats will be available on SJCBears.com