BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Junior Anisah Molic (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan E. Wagner) put away a season-high four goals and rookie Clara Curtiss (Stillwater, Minn./Stillwater) notched her first collegiate hat trick as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team (6-1) raced past Medgar Evers College (0-4), 16-0, at Kingsborough C.C. on Wednesday night.
With the victory, the Bears won their third-straight contest and improved their record to 6-1 in 2019 marking the best start to a season in program history.
How It Happened
Molic opened the scoring almost immediately stealing the ball from the hosts in their backfield and beating the keeper to go up 1-0. Then, to open the sixth minute, Molic did it again stealing a goal kick and finding the back of the net for a 2-0 lead just five minutes into the game.
Sophomore Julia Lavelle (Bayside, N.Y./Mary Louis Academy) followed with an unassisted goal in the seventh minute before Molic dished to classmate Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) who scored for a quick 4-0 edge before the 10th minute. Soon after, Curtiss stole a Cougar goal kick and shot past the keeper for her first tally of the contest.
The Bears carried a 12-0 advantage into halftime as Molic and Curtiss netted two more each while junior Rachel Rocha (Linden, N.J./Linden) (two goals) and reigning Skyline Rookie of the Week Haley Fahrmann (New Brighton, Minn./Irondale) got in on the scoring before the break.
SJC's defense was on their game holding Medgar Evers to just one shot attempt all game, and the scoring continued in the second half with Lavelle nabbing a brace and junior Rebecca De Rosa (Ronkonkoma, N.Y./Connetquot) adding two late goals on a penalty kick and an unassisted strike. Then, senior Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) capped off the win with her first goal of the season in the 67th minute.
For the Bears
- Curtiss (three goals) and Fahrmann (one goal) tied for the team lead with eight shots on the night.
- Molic added an assist to her four-goal outing for nine points in the win.
- De Rosa, Rocha, and Lavelle each had a brace and Sequeira scored once on five shots.
- Sophomore Tiara Ares (Broad Channel, N.Y./Scholars' Academy) picked up her first career point with an assist to Curtiss in the 43rd minute.
- Junior Lisa LoSchiavo (Malverne, N.Y./Valley Stream North) handed out her fourth assist of the year in the victory.
The Bears battle another CUNYAC foe in City College this Saturday (Sep. 21) at Randall's Island Field 75 with kick off set for 4 p.m. Live stats will be accessible at SJCBears.com/live.