BELLEROSE, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball tried to salvage a split with first place Mount Saint Mary College, but after plating three early runs in the nightcap, couldn't hold off the visitors and suffered a doubleheader sweep in Skyline Conference play on Thursday afternoon.
- Final Score (Game 1): Mount Saint Mary 8, St. Joseph's 0 (5 innings)
- Final Score (Game 2): Mount Saint Mary 7, St. Joseph's 3
- Records: Mount Saint Mary (12-7, 10-0 Skyline), St. Joseph's (5-12, 2-10 Skyline)
- Date: April 14, 2016
- Location: Bellerose, N.Y.
- Field: Padavan-Preller Field
- St. Joseph's Starters (Game 1): Simon (SS), Eddy (C), Ferrigno (3B), Rossi (CF), Gentile (1B), Armano (P), Quintana (2B), Finnerty (RF), McGowan (LF)
- St. Joseph's Starters (Game 2): Simon (SS), Eddy (2B), Ferrigno (3B), Rossi (LF), Gentile (1B), Armano (DP), Quintana (C), Marino (CF), Rancel (RF), McGowan (P)
How it Happened - Game 1
- After two scoreless innings that featured just one hit from both sides, Mount Saint Mary posted four runs in the top of the third using three straight hits to start the frame with the bases loaded. A Michelle Surdan single proved to be the game-winner, Chelsea Dexter followed with a sacrifice fly and Taylor Canto roped a double.
- A four-run cushion was all MSMC starter Victoria Goldbach needed as she struck out 10 and surrendered just two hits for the win as the Knights tacked on four more in the fifth to reach the run rule.
How it Happened - Game 2
- Mount Saint Mary took an early lead with a solo run in the first on a two-out triple from Chelsea Dexter but St. Joseph's got the bats going in the home half and rang up three runs to take an early lead making the most of a Knights miscue. Samantha Rossi opened the scoring with a run-scoring single and later Theresa Armano delivered a two-out single that pushed two more across.
- The Lady Bears maintained their advantage until the third when Mount Saint Mary tied the game with a pair of runs, returning the favor of an SJC miscue to open the inning.
- The visitors loaded the bases early in the fourth and pushed the go ahead run when Dexter was hit by a pitch and Cindy Connoly cleared the bases with a double.
- Connoly took the circle in the bottom half of the inning and kept the Lady Bears off the board over the final four innings to pick up the victory in relief. St. Joseph's picked up three hits off the 2015 Skyline Pitcher of the Year, highlighted by triples from Stephanie Rancel and Destiny Marino, but couldn't deliver them home.
For the Lady Bears
- Samantha Rossi (1-for-4, RBI, R) drove in one of the three runs in game two, but saw her 11-game hitting streak snapped in the opener.
- Theresa Armano (1-for-5, 2 RBI) accounted for the other two Lady Bear runs in the nightcap and worked eight innings on the afternoon in the circle across both games, taking the loss in the game one with only five of her eight runs allowed earned.
- Destiny Marino (1-for-3, 3B) and Stephanie Rancel (1-for-3, 3B) both knocked triples.
- Erica Eddy (1-for-4, R, 2B) laced a double in game one and Samantha Simon (1-for-5, R) rapped a single for the only hits in game one.
- Maria Gentile (1-for-5) rounded out seven Lady Bears to record a hit but also saw her reached base safely streak halted in the opener at 12 games.
For the Knights
- Chelsea Dexter paced the visitors with a 2-for-3 day with four RBI, a run scored, a triple and two walks.
- Cindy Connoly also drove in four RBI with a 2-for-4 day. Taking the circle in relief in game two, Connoly struck out six over four scoreless innings to improve to 6-1 on the season.
- Shannon Sommer led off the lineup and finished with a 4-for-9 day and four runs scored.
- Victoria Goldbach earned the win in game one striking out 10 against one walk in the five-inning triumph.
Inside the Box Scores
- All 10 Knights with an at bat collected a hit on the day batting .415 (22-for-53) over the twinbill.
The Lady Bear Facts
- It was the first meeting between the two schools. The Knights entered the doubleheader with an unblemished league record and were last year's runner-up and picked to finish second in the preseason coaches poll.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Lady Bears will continue Skyline Conference play with a pair of road doubleheaders this weekend. First up, St. Joseph's meets former Hudson Valley rivals Sarah Lawrence College on Saturday, April 16th with a double-dip starting at noon in Bronxville. The Lady Bears will close out the weekend at five-time defending champions Farmingdale State College on Sunday.