STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — John Condon (Oceanside, N.Y./Oceanside) batted 4-for-5 with a RBI and Bears pitchers held the College of Staten Island to just one hit over the first five innings to jump out to a 3-0 lead, but the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team suffered their eighth one-run loss of the season in a 4-3 defeat on Friday afternoon.
- Final Score: Staten Island 4, St. Joseph's 3
- Location: Staten Island, N.Y.
- Field: CSI Baseball Complex
- Records: Staten Island (20-7-1), St. Joseph's (12-14)
How it Happened
- SJC Starters: Pasetti (RF), Linitz (CF), Rapp (SS), Condon (C), LoPrinzi (DH), Pallatto (1B), Schwartz (3B), Trudden (2B), M. Camerada (LF), Teranova (P)
- The Bears raced out of the gates with three quick runs on four hits in the top of the first. After Kevin Linitz and Francis Rapp knocked back-to-back one-out singles, John Condon opened the scoring with a the third straight hit. St. Joseph's later loaded the bases with two outs and Adam Schwartz delivered a double to score two more.
- Staked with a three-run lead in his first collegiate start, Peter Terranova tossed three near perfect innings, his only blemish a leadoff walk in the first that he erased with a double play and retired eight straight batters.
- Paul Pelligrino and Charlie Salvador followed with scoreless frames in relief as the Bears held the Dolphins to one hit through five.
- The Dolphins finally broke through with three runs on three hits in the sixth. A Bobby Drake two-out double with the bases loaded scored two to tie the game at 3-all, but the inning ended with the Bears gunning down the go-ahead runner at the plate trying to score from first.
- The game remained deadlocked until the ninth and the Bears threatened loading the bases with one out, but came away empty-handed. In the home half of the inning, the Dolphins used a leadoff single and a walk to gain runners at first and second with one out and scored the winning run on an Anthony DiMarco single.
- The Bears outhit the Dolphins 14-8.
- John Condon finished 4-for-5 with a RBI and run scored.
- Adam Schwartz drove in a pair of runs with a double in the first and finished 1-for-4.
- Michael Camerada knocked a trio of hits and finished 3-for-5.
- Kevin Linitz and Francis Rapp both went 2-for-5 for a run scored. Linitz also had a double.
- Peter Terranova fired three shutout innings in his first collegiate start, allowing just one walk and no hits.
- Paul Pelligrino, Charlie Salvador, Jonathan Schneider and Kevin White all worked scoreless innings in relief.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's sees their winning streak snapped at three games while Staten Island keeps their streak alive at 10 games.
- Staten Island improves to 14-6 all-time in the series. The Bears swept a doubleheader last season.
- It is the eighth one-run, non-conference loss of the season for St. Joseph's.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears honor nine from the Class of 2017 on Senior Day tomorrow hosting Maritime College in a key Skyline Conference doubleheader starting at noon at American Legion Field. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com.