BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Four Bears registered five or more kills and the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team (5-4, 2-1) served up 21 aces in a straight-set 3-0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-11) triumph over Purchase College (3-8, 1-4) in a Skyline Conference match on Tuesday evening at The Hill Center.
How it Happened
The Bears remained in control nearly the entire contest, trailing only briefly at 2-1 in both the second and third stanzas. St. Joseph's combined for 28 kills at a season second-best .212 hitting percentage while their 21 aces were a season high.
SJC built an early 5-1 lead in the first and the Panthers pulled within one at 13-12, but the Bears ran off five straight points to pull away. SJC used a 7-0 run midway through the second sparked by a kill and two aces from Cristina Morales (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) and a pair of kills from Kaitlyn Intindola (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney).
Freshman Carol Melo (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) served up four of her match-best seven aces during a 8-0 stretch in the third that built a commanding 17-6 advantage to seal the victory.
For the Bears
- Senior Valentina Urgo (Astoria, N.Y./St. John's Prep) led the attack with 10 points registering five kills with as many aces and digs.
- Freshman Teuta Hoxha (Kew Gardens, N.Y./Queens Metropolitan) put away a match-high six kills at a .267 clip.
- Intindola finished with five kills, eight assists, four aces, and nine digs.
- In addition to her match- and career-high seven aces, Melo shared team-high honors with Intindola with nine digs.
- Morales finished with five kills against no errors for a .385 hitting line, also bringing up six digs.
The Bears celebrate their Dig Pink game on Thursday, October 3 welcoming Sarah Lawrence College for a Skyline Conference affair starting at 7 p.m. All fans are encouraged to join the Bears in wearing pink. Fans wishing to donate to the team's fundraiser benefiting the Side-Out Foundation supporting metastatic breast cancer research funding can donate at SJCBears.com/digpink.