JAMAICA, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team battled York College on the road on Friday night. SJC rolled to their fourth victory against the CUNYAC this year, winning in straight sets behind junior Nina DiCioccio's (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) 10 kill, 10 dig double-double.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, York 0
- Set Scores: 25-18, 25-13, 25-13
- Records: St. Joseph's (4-7), York (2-18)
- Location: Jamaica, N.Y. -- York College Gym
How It Happened
- The Bears got off to a fast start for a quick 10-3 lead. Their advantage would then swell to 18-11 after two straight kills from Tiffany Garcia-Lawson (Floral Park, N.Y./St. John's Prep). This would be enough for SJC to gain a 1-0 lead, as they held off a 5-1 Cardinal run to take the first 25-18.
- Back-to-back DiCioccio kills gave the Bears a 10-4 lead to open the second set. St. Joseph's continued to roll, as they used a 5-1 run to close out the frame, 25-13.
- York showed some life to begin the third, as they found themselves ahead 5-3. However, the visitors rapidly turned things around, ripping off an 8-0 run with Valentina Urgo (Astoria, N.Y./St. John's Prep) serving. SJC didn't look back from there, winning the set 25-13, and the match 3-0.
For the Bears
- DiCioccio's double-double (third of 2017) led the squad, along with her three assists and three blocks.
- Urgo put forth an all-around performance, notching five kills, five aces, and 10 digs.
- Garcia-Lawson came second on the team in kills with eight, as well as seven digs.
The Bear Facts
- The Bears are now 4-2 against the CUNYAC this year, with matches against Brooklyn (Oct. 17) and Lehman (Oct. 24) rounding out the slate.
Next Up for the Bears
- A Skyline tri-match at The Hill Center, hosting Merchant Marine and Sarah Lawrence on Sunday (Oct. 15). First-serve against Merchant Marine is at 11 a.m. and Sarah Lawrence at 3 p.m. with live stats and video at SJCBears.com.