BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Maritime College visited The Hill Center and the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team, and came away with a 3-0 sweep. The visitors controlled the game out of the gate and evened their league record at 3-3.
- Final Score: Maritime 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores: 25-19, 25-8, 25-16
- Records: Maritime (9-9, 3-3), St. Joseph's (4-7, 1-3)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — The Hill Center
How It Happened
- The match began as a back-and-forth affair, as a Kathleen O'Dea (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) ace knotted the first at 11-11 midway through. However, a quick 5-0 run (with Shannon Brady serving) gave Maritime a 20-15 lead that they wouldn't relinquish, taking the first 25-19.
- In the second the Privateers gained control, climbing out to a 12-5 lead early. Then, they exploded for a 16-1 run and didn't look back, rolling to a 25-8 win. Erika Kirchner paced the visitors with eight assists in the frame, as well as four kills from Gabrielle Kempski.
- Maritime rode the momentum, jumping out to a 15-6 lead in the third on the back of a 9-1 run. The Bears couldn't find an answer and dropped the set 25-16 and the match 3-0. Kempski had a near double-double for the Privateers, totaling 14 kills and nine digs.
For the Bears
- Nina DiCioccio (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) and Valentina Urgo (Astoria, N.Y./St. John's Prep) tied for the team-high in kills with five. DiCioccio was the facilitator as well, dishing out nine assists and defensively notching eight digs.
- O'Dea tallied double-digit digs for the second time in her career, leading the squad with 10.
The Bear Facts
- Maritime now leads the all-time series 3-0.
Next Up for the Bears
- A chance to improve to 4-2 against the CUNYAC this year, traveling to York College on Friday (Oct. 13). First-serve set for 7 p.m. in Jamaica.