BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team fell in straight sets to the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Tuesday night. The Dolphins came in at fourth in the preseason coaches' poll and are now 5-0 in league play.
- Final Score: Mount Saint Vincent 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores: 25-13, 25-20, 25-16
- Records: Mount Saint Vincent (13-7, 6-0), St. Joseph's (4-6, 1-2)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — The Hill Center
How It Happened
- Mount Saint Vincent asserted themselves in the first, pulling out to a 20-9 lead. Eight kills in the frame from Maria Leineweber paced the Dolphins, as a 7-1 run late sealed a 25-13 set win.
- The Bears found some life in the second, leading 14-10 in the middle of the set. The back and forth continued, but an 8-1 Dolphin run to finish the stanza completed a 25-20 set win. Nicole Henderson came away with two kills on the run to power the visitors.
- Mount Saint Vincent put their foot down in the third, storming out to a 16-9 lead right away. Leineweber continued to pave the way, compiling five of her match-high 16 kills in the set, en route to a 25-16 triumph and a clean sweep.
For the Bears
- Junior Nina DiCioccio (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) led the hosts in points with seven, coming on five kills and two blocks.
- Freshman Tiffany Garcia-Lawson (Floral Park, N.Y./St. John's Prep) tied for the team high with five kills of her own, along with five digs and a block.
- Sophomores Briana Marrazzo (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) and Paige Csikortos (Rocky Point, N.Y./Rocky Point) held down the Bears' defense, tallying 13 and 12 digs respectively.
The Bear Facts
- After Tuesday's match, the all-time series is tied 8-8 between the two programs.
Next Up for the Bears
- A home showdown against Maritime on Thursday (Oct. 12). Start time is 7 p.m. with live stats and video available at SJCBears.com.