BROOKLYN, N.Y. — In a battle of two early season unbeatens, William Paterson University improved to 3-0 and handed the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team a straight-set loss at The Hill Center on Thursday night.
- Final Score: William Paterson 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores: 25-13, 25-6, 25-11
- Records: William Paterson (3-0), St. Joseph's (1-1)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — The Hill Center
How It Happened
- Alyson Toman had three kills early to help the Pioneers jump out to an 8-1 lead to begin the match.
- Despite a 4-0 run for the Bears towards the end of the frame, WP took the first set 25-13. Freshman Dana Roussos (Astoria, N.Y./Monsignor McClancy) had two kills and two aces to lead SJC in the first.
- The second got off to a similar start as the first, with the Pioneers carrying their momentum to a 15-3 edge. WP didn't look back, using a 10-0 run in the middle of the second to cruise to a 25-6 set win.
- The Bears took their first lead of the match early in the third set, but a 7-1 run helped the visitors pull away again and hand SJC their first loss of the season.
For the Bears
- Freshman Tiffany Garcia-Lawson (Floral Park, N.Y./St. John's Prep) had another strong showing, notching a team-high six points with a trio of kills, a pair of blocks and an ace.
- Fellow rookie Roussos finished with three kills, a team-high two aces, and four digs.
- Junior Nina DiCioccio (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) was a bright spot, finishing with a team-high four kills, along with five assists, and nine digs.
- Sophomore Paige Csikortos (Rocky Point, N.Y./Rocky Point) was the Bears' facilitator, posting a near double-double with nine assists to go along with as many digs.
The Bear Facts
- This match was the seventh meeting between the two programs, with William Paterson now the victors of the last four.
Next Up for the Bears
- Women's Volleyball's first road matchup of the season, as they travel to take on City College of New York on Friday (Sep. 15) at 7 p.m. Live stats available at SJCBears.com.