PATCHOGUE, N.Y. — Freshman Briana Marrazzo (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) led the Bears attack with 15 kills as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team cruised to a straight-set victory over Purchase College after falling in four sets to sibling rivals SJC Long Island on Saturday morning at the Danzi Center.
- Final Score (Match 1): SJC Long Island 3, SJC Brooklyn 1
- Set Scores: 25-13, 25-12, 24-26, 25-19
- Final Score (Match 2): St. Joseph's 3, Purchase 0
- Set Scores: 25-15, 25-13, 25-9
- Records: SJC Brooklyn (10-9, 2-6 Skyline), SJC Long Island (10-13, 5-3), Purchase (1-21, 1-8)
- Location: Patchogue, N.Y. — Danzi Center
How It Happened vs. SJC Long Island
- The Golden Eagles created separation at the 7-6 mark of the opening set and the 8-8 mark of set two and limited the Bears to a combined 25 points in the first two frames.
- The Bears trailed for much of the third set before clawing back to force an extra frame. Long Island led by as many as six, 16-10, before a 6-1 Brooklyn run pulled the Bears within one. The Golden Eagles pulled ahead again and earned a set point that was erased by the Bears and went on to win the next two points on Eagle miscues to steal the frame 26-24, despite recording only four kills in the set.
- But SJC couldn't force their second straight five-set match as their siblings ballooned a 16-15 lead into 22-16 and carried it into the finish.
How It Happened vs. Purchase
- The Bears trailed only momentarily in the early parts of the opening two sets and cruised to their second Skyline victory of the season.
- The opening set saw six different Bears put away a kill in a balanced attack that combined for 11 kills that led by as many as 14.
- Holding on to a 16-12 lead in set two, the Bears won nine of the last 10 points to close out the set. Nina DiCioccio slammed four of her match high eight kills in the set connecting at a .429 clip.
- SJC led from the outset of the third stanza and built a 13-3 lead and never turned back. The Bears served up eight aces in the set with Alanna Palomino landing four and Elizabeth Quahliero landing three.
For the Bears
- Briana Marrazzo led the Bears attack with 15 kills on the day. She also added 14 digs and three blocks on the defensive end. The freshman had a team-high eight kills against the Golden Eagles.
- Classmate Elizabeth Quahliero totaled 10 kills and four aces and also stuffed a solo block against SJC Long Island.
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio had a match-high eight kills and hit .286 in the win over Purchase also bringing up a team-best six digs.
- Alanna Palomino dished out 38 assists and served up 11 aces over the tri-match. The rookie landed a career-high seven aces in the win over Purchase.
- Freshman Valentina Urgo chipped in seven kills, six aces and 13 digs.
The Bear Facts
- The Bears pad their lead in the all-time series vs. Purchase to 5-1. The Golden Eagles win their sixth straight in the series and lead 7-3.
- St. Joseph's reaches double-digit wins for the sixth time in Head Coach Kathleen O'Neill's career. She now sits at 99 career victories.
Next up for St. Joseph's
Winners of three of their last four, the Bears wrap up a five-match week tomorrow, October 23 at United States Merchant Marine Academy in a Skyline Conference affair starting at 11 a.m. Live stats and video are available on SJCBears.com.