FLUSHING, N.Y. — Junior Denise Trerotola (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Saviour), senior Kathryn Brucas (Richmond Hill, N.Y./Archbishop Molloy) and sophomore Daniella Alva (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) each secured wins in singles and doubles to lead the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) to a 6-3 victory over The College of New Rochelle on Tuesday evening in their home opener at the USTA National Tennis Center.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 6, New Rochelle 3
- Records: St. Joseph's (1-1), New Rochelle (0-2)
- Location: Flushing, N.Y. — USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
- Denise Trerotola and Valentina Velez Valencia cruised in the top doubles match, 8-1, and Kathryn Brucas and Daniella Alva followed shortly with an 8-2 triumph the No. 2 position to give the Bears a 2-1 lead headed into singles.
- Trerotola and Alva both posted double-bagel, 6-0, 6-0, victories in the No. 1 and No. 3 singles matches, respectively.
- Freshman Isabella Benitez (New York, N.Y./Manhattan Bridges) secured her first collegiate win with a comfortable 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles.
- Brucas remained undefeated on the evening winning 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 4 flight.
The Bear Facts
- The Bears creep out to a 7-6 lead in the all-time series, winning their third straight encounter.
- Notching her 12th career singles victory, Trerotola moves into a tie for second all-time in the Bears record book.
Next up for the Bears
- A non-conference road matchup with Kings County rivals Brooklyn College on Tuesday, September 26 starting at 4 p.m. at the Roosevelt Tennis Courts.