RIVERDALE, N.Y. — In a hard-fought, physical game on Saturday, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team came up short at the College of Mount Saint Vincent. After a 1-0 halftime score, the Dolphins converted a penalty kick in the second the secure their fourth conference victory, tying them with SJC Long Island for third in the league.
- Final Score: Mount Saint Vincent 2, St. Joseph's 0
- Records: Mount Saint Vincent (5-7, 4-2), St. Joseph's (6-6, 2-4)
- Location: Riverdale, N.Y. — Marillac Field
How It Happened
- Mount Saint Vincent kept the ball in Bears' territory early in the game, and Julia McGowan notched a goal from five yards out from Erin Dailey to open the scoring 1-0. St. Joseph's failed to answer in the first half, as the Dolphins held the shot advantage 16-2.
- The score remained 1-0 well into the second, as sophomore keeper Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) saved back-to-back shots in the 77th minute to hold the Bears' deficit at one.
- Momentum would shift soon after, as an SJC handball in their own box granted a penalty kick to the Dolphins. McGowan lined it up and fired it past the outstretched goalie, giving her squad their fifth win of 2017.
For the Bears
- Quesada notched double-digit (11) saves for the second straight game, giving her five such performances this year.
- Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) fired four shots on the day, as her and Anisah Molic (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) (one shot) attempted to spark the Bears offense.
The Bear Facts
- Despite the loss, the Bears are tied for the final Skyline playoff position (6th place) with Purchase State with three games remaining. The two teams have yet to meet this season.
- The Bears fell 6-0 to Mount Saint Vincent in last season's final game.
Next Up for the Bears
- A home matchup with Yeshiva University on Tuesday (Oct. 17), which is also the Bears' Breast Cancer Awareness Game. Kick-off is set for 8 p.m. with live stats available at SJCBears.com.