MORRISTOWN, N.J. — After a scoreless deadlock at half, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team scored three times in less than a span of 10 minutes to take a 3-0 non-conference victory over the College of Saint Elizabeth. Coming off of her Skyline weekly honor roll selection, freshman Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) led the Bears offense once again, picking up a goal and an assist in the victory.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, St. Elizabeth 0
- Records: St. Joseph's (2-1), St. Elizabeth (0-3-1)
- Location: Morristown, N.J.
How It Happened
- The first half was a defensive stalemate, as neither team could find the back of the net in the first 45.
- The tides changed eight minutes into the second, as Sequeira fired a cross to fellow rookie Rachel Rocha (Linden, N.J./Linden) who knocked it in, breaking the tie.
- Eight minutes after picking up the assist, Sequeira jumped in on the scoring, notching her sixth goal of the season off a feed from freshman Anisah Molic (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner).
- The Bears offense is capable of picking up steam quickly, as less than two minutes later, in the 63rd minute, freshman Rebecca De Rosa (Ronkonkoma, N.Y./Connetquot) fired a shot that deflected off of a CSE defender and into the goal.
- St. Joseph's maintained a 25-4 shot advantage and held an 11-3 edge in corners.
For the Bears
- Sequeira scored for the second straight game (10 shots, eight on goal), adding to her team lead in goals (6), and picked up her second collegiate assist.
- Sophomore Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) was perfect in goal, saving all three of the shots she saw for her first solo shutout.
- Rocha and De Rosa scored for the second straight game, and Molic dished out an assist while firing four shots of her own.
The Bear Facts
- This is SJC's first win-streak since 2014, a season in which they rattled off three in a row on three separate occasions.
- At 2-1, the Bears are above the .500 mark for the first time since the 2014 season.
- In their last meeting with St. Elizabeth (Oct. 3, 2014), the Bears cruised to a 19-0 victory in Morristown.
Next Up for the Bears
- St. Joseph's has six days off before the second of three straight road games. The Bears travel to Phoenixville, P.A. to take on University of Valley Forge on Tuesday, September 19. Kickoff is set for 4:15 with live stats will be available at SJCBears.com.