ANNANDALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team traveled to Bard College on Saturday for a road test to open the 2017 season. Despite solid efforts from freshmen Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) and Rachel Rocha (Linden, N.J./Linden) the Bears fell short, 8-0.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 0, Bard 8
- Records: St. Joseph's (0-1), Bard (1-0)
- Location: Annandale-On-Hudson, N.Y. — Ferrari Field
How It Happened
- The Raptors came out of the gates hot, scoring on a corner kick in the seventh minute.
- Avalon Qian scored for Bard in the 29th minute to push the hosts lead to 2-0.
- Bard tallied one more goal before the intermission and maintained the pressure throughout the period while SJC managed three shot attempts (two from Sequeira).
- In the second half, the Bears managed to keep the shot discrepancy to 15-5, but Bard scored four times within a 20-minute span to put the game away.
For the Bears
- Sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) finished with 19 saves in her debut in goal.
- Newcomers Rocha and Sequeira combined for all eight Bears shots in their collegiate debut.
The Bear Facts
- Women's soccer has now lost three straight season openers, the last opening victory coming in 2014 with a 13-0 win at Medgar Evers (Sep. 9).
- This is the first meeting between the Bears and Bard College in women's soccer.
Next Up for the Bears
- The Bears face CCNY for a non-conference road matchup on Wednesday, September 6 at 4 p.m. at Randalls Island.