BROOKLYN, N.Y. — First-half tallies from co-captains Christina Caruso (Astoria, N.Y./St. John's Prep) and Christine Emigholz (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) staked the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team with a 2-0 lead but York College (N.Y.) rallied with three goals in the second stanza, including two in the final 10 minutes to steal a 3-2 victory on Monday evening.
- Final Score: York (N.Y.) 3, St. Joseph's 2
- Records: York (4-5), St. Joseph's (1-7)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. – Aviator Sports and Events Center
How It Happened
- Junior Christina Caruso scored just 5:29 into the contest with an unassisted goal to give the SJC a 1-0 advantage. Just over 15 minutes later, she sprung her classmate Christine Emigholz with a long lead pass from the midfield to build a two-goal cushion, which they carried into the lockers.
- The first half was evenly played with the Cardinals holding a 7-6 edge in shots, but SJC making the most of their three attempts and Kristen Candelaria stopping three shots in the period.
- But York turned to the offensive in the second stanza and cut the deficit in half seven minutes into the new period. The Bears were on their heels for most of the final 45 with the Cardinals holding a 12-1 shot advantage and 9-0 discrepancy in corners.
- The Bears dodged bullet after bullet trying to cling to the lead but the Cardinals finally found the equalizer with just under 10 minutes left in regulation. Six minutes later York shocked the Bears with the go-ahead goal when Monique Surf found the back of the net for the second time in the contest.
For the Bears
- Caruso and Emigholz both netted their team-leading second goals of the season. Caruso finished with three points also handing out her first assist of the season. Emigholz fired four shots, with all four coming on goal.
- Merima Kokale also registered a shot on goal. All seven Bears shots were on target
- Kristen Candelaria faced 19 Cardinal shots and finished with 10 saves, her fifth game with double-digit saves.
The Bear Facts
- York moves ahead 2-1 in the all-time series. The teams have traded wins in all three meetings.
- It is the first loss this season where the Bears have led.
Post Game Quotes
Head Coach Gary Lawson
Winning 2-0 at half-time. Lose 3-2. Anyone that plays or coaches this sport will know how we feel tonight. The reason why football is so special is because it brings out emotions both when you win and lose. I've been on the winning team scoring a last minute goal, and tonight we were on the losing team conceding a goal in the 87th minute. Those feelings are why we play this game. Stick together as a team. ����⚽️ @sjcbears @sjcbkwsoccer
Athletic Director James Lally
Quite often the toughest defeats give us the best chance to grow, it's all about attitude #10and90Rule— James Lally (@JamesLallySJC) October 4, 2016
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return to Aviator Field to host sibling rivals SJC Long Island on Thursday, October 6th. Kick-off is set for 6 p.m. with live stats and video on SJCBears.com.