BRONX, N.Y. — Junior captain Christine Emigholz (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) scored her first goal of the season but the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team was handed a 7-1 road loss by Lehman College on Saturday afternoon.
- Final Score: Lehman 7, St. Joseph's 1
- Records: Lehman (2-1), St. Joseph's (0-3)
- Location: Bronx, N.Y. – South Field
How It Happened
- The Lightning struck early and often scoring four five times in the first half after Pamela Sanchez opened the scoring in the 12th minute.
- The Bears came out strong after intermission and Emigholz found the back of the net in just three minutes in, her shot from the near corner slipping past the keeper for her first goal of the season.
- The SJC defense would match the hosts 6-all in shooting in the second half and allowed just two more goals. In the final minute, the Lightning earned a penalty kick after an SJC foul in the box, but Kristen Candelaria saved the ensuing attempt, preserving the final deficit at 7-1.
Post-Game Tweet - Head Coach Gary Lawson
Credit to the team for responding to the HT talk and scoring early. Ultimately a poor 1st half performance lost it https://t.co/ShEUYBBYWA— Gary Lawson Soccer (@grlawson) September 11, 2016
For the Bears
- Emigholz led the front line with four shots and scored her third career goal in a Bears uniform.
- Co-captain Christina Caruso and Nilevi Irizarry recorded the other shots for St. Joseph's.
- Kristen Candelaria made eight saves in a losing effort, facing 19 Lightning shots (15 on goal).
The Bear Facts
- Lehman levels the all-time series at 3-3 winning the last two meetings.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears will head to Randall's Island for the second time this season face Yeshiva University on Thursday, September 15 at 5 p.m. Live stats will be available on SJCBears.com.