RIVERDALE, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team battled the College of Mount Saint Vincent on the road Wednesday night en route to a convincing 70-35 defeat. SJC's offense sputtered in the first two quarters digging themselves and insurmountable hole as they split the season series with the Dolphins.
- Final Score: Mount Saint Vincent 70, St. Joseph's 35
- Records: Mount Saint Vincent (6-8, 4-6), St. Joseph's (7-10, 5-5)
- Location: Riverdale, N.Y. — Sharp Center
- SJC Starters: Sequeira (G), Porcasi (G), O'Donnell (G), Raccuglia (F), Staab (C)
How It Happened
- Mount Saint Vincent scored the first seven points of the game as the Bears failed to score until a Taylor Raccuglia (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) jump shot at 6:16 in the first. SJC's only other points in the period came on a Victoria Porcasi (Franklin Square, N.Y./H. Frank Carey) deep-ball and they trailed 22-5 after one.
- After another Porcasi score early in the second (7:30), the Dolphins ran off to a 10-1 run to close the half holding the visitors to just five points in each of the first two periods giving them a 36-10 advantage at the break.
- The third quarter was a bright spot for the Bears, with Porcasi scoring half her team-high 12 in the frame and the team putting up 16 points while giving up 17. The deficit would be too much to overcome, however, and CMSV ran away with a revenge victory.
For the Bears
- Porcasi corralled five boards as well as two assists and steals to compliment her 12 points.
- Freshman Kelly O'Donnell (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) was the only other Bear in double-figures with 10, along with eight rebounds.
- Raccuglia nabbed a team-high nine caroms while chipping five points and two blocks.
Inside the Box Score
- Center Catherine Drago (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) scored all six of St. Joseph's bench points (2 reb).
- The Bears struggled to take the lid off shooting a dismal 19% from the field on the night.
The Bear Facts
- O'Donnell picked up her 15th-straight game in double-figures and her 16th of the season, as she's scored in single-digits just once in her career.
Next Up for the Bears
- A league game on the road at Merchant Marine on Saturday (Jan. 27) with tip-off set for noon. Live stats and video at SJCBears.com.