BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Junior guard Victoria Porcasi (Franklin Square, N.Y./H. Frank Carey) dropped a career-high 28 points as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team stormed past Sarah Lawrence College on Saturday afternoon. Her eight three-pointers set a St. Joseph's single-game record and the Bears outscored SLC 42-15 in the second half to pick up their fourth Skyline win of the season.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 87, Sarah Lawrence 42
- Records: St. Joseph's (6-8, 4-3), Sarah Lawrence (2-11, 1-7)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — The Hill Center
- SJC Starters: Sequeira (G), Porcasi (G), DiCioccio (G), O'Donnell (G), Staab (C)
- Freshman Jolie Rodriguez's (Staten Island, N.Y./CSI H.S.) layup (8:09) capped off a 6-0 Bears run to start the second half, giving them a double-digit lead (31-21) to take control of the game.
How It Happened
- The Gryphons kept things close for most of the first half, as a Tarryn Penna (20 points) finish gave them a slim 14-13 lead late in the second quarter (5:11). However, a Porcasi deep-ball right before the buzzer secured a 25-21 SJC advantage at the break.
- Sarah Lawrence's offense stalled to open the third quarter and the hosts capitalized, with Rodriguez's layup put them up by 10.
- Two minutes later (2:42) forward Taylor Raccuglia hit a jumper pushing the score to 40-25 for a 15-point lead making it a one-sided affair.
- The Bears would not look back from there as Rodriguez (8 and 5) and classmate Cailee Greco (Lyndenhurst, N.Y./East Islip) (6 and 5) both set career-highs in points and rebounds en route to an 87-42 SJC victory that pushed them over .500 in league play.
For the Bears
- Along with Porcasi's 28, freshman Kelly O'Donnell netted 18 points while grabbing a career-high 13 rebounds for her team-high fourth double-double of the season.
- To pace a Bears bench that totaled 27 rebounds, freshman Samantha Wilber (Island Heights, N.J./Central Regional) notched her own career-best of seven caroms, as well as six points.
Inside the Box Score
- SJC dished 22 assists topping the Gryphons' nine, led by rookie Deserae Sequeira's (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) all-time high of eight dimes.
- The Bears controlled the post all game long, winning the points in the paint battle 32-14.
The Bear Facts
- Porcasi not only hit a record eight threes, but she also moved into third place in St. Joseph's history in career 3FG, and now sits just 25 points away from 1,000.
- This matchup was the first ever between the two programs.
Next Up for the Bears
- A return to the road taking on Mount St. Mary in Newburgh on Wednesday (Jan. 10) at 7 p.m. Live stats streaming at SJCBears.com.