BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team never allowed their opponents to lead in a 70-39 handling of John Jay College at The Hill Center on Tuesday. 28 SJC bench points, led by sophomore Gina Hopkins' (Astoria, N.Y./Msngr. McClancy) 11 (4-6, 2-4 3FG), as opposed to John Jay's two proved to be the difference in the Bears' second win in as many games.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 70, John Jay 39
- Records: St. Joseph's (2-2), John Jay (0-3)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — The Hill Center
- SJC Starters: O'Neill (G), Sequeira (G), Porcasi (G), O'Donnell (G), Staab (C)
How It Happened
- The Bears concluded the first quarter holding a convincing 23-6 lead that wouldn't falter. Rookie Kelly O'Donnell paced the hosts in the period with nine points.
- St. Joseph's wouldn't back down in the second, as a combined 26 from O'Donnell and junior Kellie O'Neill (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) gave them a 47-19 halftime advantage.
- Hopkins did the majority of her damage in the second half (6 pts, 4 reb, 1 stl) as the Bears cruised to a 31-point victory despite being outscored 12-11 in the fourth quarter.
For the Bears
- O'Donnell led all scorers with 16 on top of eight rebounds, three assists, and two steals.
- O'Neill dropped 14 (5-9 FG, 3-6 3FG) along with a busy four dimes, four steals and three boards.
- Hopkins added six rebounds and a steal to her 11 bench points.
Inside the Box Score
- The Bears defense was on lockdown, holding the Bloodhounds to 20.7% from the field and 18.2% beyond the arc.
- SJC hit the boards hard, outrebounding John Jay 58-45 and winning the second-chance points battle 14-0.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's moves to 2-1 on the season against the CUNYAC.
Next Up for the Bears
- The Skyline opener after a brief Thanksgiving hiatus, hosting Mount Saint Vincent next Tuesday (Nov. 28) at 6 p.m. Live stats and video at SJCBears.com.