MAHWAH, N.J. — In the first round of the Roadrunner Tip-Off Tournament hosted by Ramapo College, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team fell to Suffolk University on Friday night 90-45. Junior Victoria Porcasi (Franklin Square, N.Y./H. Frank Carey) dropped a game-high 22 points (8-17 FG, 4-6 3FG) in defeat.
- Final Score: Suffolk 90, St. Joseph's 45
- Records: Suffolk (1-1), St. Joseph's (0-2)
- Location: Mahwah, N.J. — Bradley Center
- SJC Starters: O'Neill (G), Porcasi (G), O'Donnell (G), Quesada (F), Drago (C)
- With 5:42 left in the first quarter the Bears held a 7-6 lead, but Suffolk would subsequently reel off a 10-1 spurt and refuse to look back from there.
How It Happened
- After their 10-1 run to take a 16-8 advantage midway through the first, the Rams would close out the quarter leading 26-15 behind six points on perfect shooting from Mya Blazejowski.
- The second quarter was all Suffolk, as a Gabrielle DeComo three put them ahead 45-19 with 4:58 to play and they would go into intermission up 55-28.
- Quarter number three saw Porcasi and DeComo trade buckets en route to seven points apiece in the frame, but the Rams held steady and controlled the period 20-12. The fourth held more of the same, and Suffolk picked up their first win of the year 90-45.
For the Bears
- Besides her 22, Porcasi also pitched in two steals and two rebounds.
- In her second career game, Kelly O'Donnell (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) filled the box score with seven points, eight rebounds, and two steals.
Inside the Box Score
- The Rams shot a lights out 64.8% from the field, meanwhile the Bears finished with a solid 36.4% mark from beyond the arc.
- SJC reduced their turnovers from the previous game with 19, as opposed to 32 versus Staten Island.
The Bear Facts
- Porcasi has now scored 20+ points in both of the Bears' first two games.
- This was St. Joseph's first-ever meeting with Suffolk University.
Next Up for the Bears
- Day two of the Roadrunner Tip-Off Tournament taking on York College (N.Y.) tomorrow at noon with live stats and video at SJCBears.com.