BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Despite 21 points from junior Victoria Porcasi (Franklin Square, N.Y./H. Frank Carey), the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team fell on Wednesday night to the defending CUNYAC champion College of Staten Island by a final score of 88-53.
- Final Score: Staten Island 88, St. Joseph's 53
- Records: Staten Island (1-0), St. Joseph's (0-1)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — The Hill Center
- SJC Starters: O'Neill (G), Porcasi (G), O'Donnell (G), Quesada (F), Staab ©
- In the final six minutes of the first quarter the Dolphins rattled off a 19-0 run to take a commanding 30-9 lead and they wouldn't look back from there.
How It Happened
- The visitors outscored SJC 30-10 in the opening quarter behind nine points from Christina Pasaturo. Porcasi opened the scoring in the second with a quick three, followed by two free-throws from freshman Kelly O'Donnell (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) to cut into the Dolphins lead.
- St. Joseph's would go on to win the frame 20-17 as O'Donnell poured in nine points. Staten Island still held a commanding lead at half, however, 47-30.
- Eight Bear turnovers in the third, paired with eight points in the period from Pasaturo, led to a 78-44 Dolphin advantage heading into the final quarter. In the fourth, CSI controlled the pace and ate the clock as both squads combined for just 19 points, and the away team left victorious 88-53.
For the Bears
- Porcasi filled the box score with her 21 points (6-12 3P), as well as seven rebounds, three assists, and three steals.
- O'Donnell had a strong debut as she was the only other Bear in double-figures, totaling 12 on the night.
- Sophomore Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) led the squad in rebounds with nine, followed by junior Caitlyn Staab (Lynnbrook, N.Y./Kellenburg Memorial) with eight boards and seven points.
Inside the Box Score
- SJC shot a healthy 34.5% from deep, ahead of CSI's 32%.
- The Bears 46 rebounds barely trailed Staten Island's 49, but the Dolphins controlled the offensive glass 23-15.
The Bear Facts
- The Dolphins now lead the all-time series 19-1, as they took last year's matchup as well, 77-60.
Next Up for the Bears
- A battle against Suffolk University in the first round of the Ramapo Tip-Off Tournament in Mahwah, N.J. on Friday (Nov. 17). Tip is set for 5:30 p.m. with live stats and video at SJCBears.com.