BROOKLYN, N.Y. — In the first meeting between the schools since the 2002-03 season, United States Merchant Marine Academy broke open a four-point game at halftime scoring the first 12 points of the third quarter to take a 56-43 Skyline Conference win over the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team on Tuesday evening at The Hill Center. Junior Destiny Marino (Howard Beach, N.Y./Christ the King) scored 18 points to lead all scorers also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Final Score: USMMA 56, St. Joseph's 43
- Records: USMMA (3-2, 2-1), St. Joseph's (2-5, 1-2)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arena: The Hill Center
- SJC Starters: Marino (G), Simon (G), Porcasi (G), Candelaria (F), Staab (C)
- St. Joseph's trailed by just four at the half, but the visitors held the Bears scoreless over the first 6:46 of the third quarter to build a sizeable lead that the Bears couldn't cut into.
How it Happened
- St. Joseph's grabbed an early lead after a 6-1 run powered by four quick points from Caitlyn Staab but the Mariners closed out the first period scoring nine unanswered to build a double-digit, 18-8 lead at the first break.
- Behind 10 points from Destiny Marino on 4-of-5 shooting in the second quarter, the Bears chipped away at the deficit and trailed by just four, 26-22, headed into the lockers.
- But the Bears came out flat to open the third and were scoreless for over six minutes allowing the visitors to run out to another double-digit lead where it remained the rest of the game.
For the Bears
- Junior Destiny Marino paced the offense for the third straight game with 18 points and eight rebounds. She shot 8-of-16 from the floor, swiped two steals, and handed out an assist playing nearly the full 40 minutes.
- Sophomore Caitlyn Staab shot 6-of-10 and finished with 12 points, seven rebounds and two assists.
- Sophomore Victoria Porcasi chipped in eight points along with three boards and two assists.
- Freshman Lauren Quesada secured a game-high nine caroms and added three points and a pair of thefts.
Inside the Box Score
- The Bears held USMMA to an opponent season-low 56 points, but also managed their lowest tally of the season.
- Both teams scored more than half their points inside—as both squads struggled from three-point land shooting a combined 15 percent (4-27)—and USMMA held a slight 28-26 edge in paint scoring.
- The Mariners edged out the Bears in the rebounding battle, 45-42.
The Bear Facts
- Destiny Marino has reached double figures and led the team in scoring in all six games played. She entered the game tied for the league lead in scoring average at 18.2.
- It was the first contest against USMMA since the 2002-03 season. The Mariners take their first meeting in the series that the Bears lead 2-1.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears continue a six-game stretch of home games at The Hill Center hosting Purchase College in a Skyline Conference matchup at The Hill Center on Saturday, December 10. Tip off is slated for 2 p.m. with live stats and video with Mike Kerr calling the action on SJCBears.com.