MAHWAH, N.J. — In their first action against a Division III opponent this season, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team couldn't overcome a sluggish second half and dropped a 77-56 decision to the College of St. Elizabeth in the first round of the Ramapo College Roadrunner Tip-Off Tournament. Junior Destiny Marino led three in double figures with 16 points.
- Final Score: St. Elizabeth 77, St Joseph's 56
- Records: St. Elizabeth (1-0), St. Joseph's (0-2)
- Location: Mahwah, N.J.
- Arena: Bradley Center
- SJC Starters: Marino (G), Simon (G), Porcasi (G), Quesada (F), Staab (C)
- The Bears extended a five-point lead at the intermission to six early in the third before reaching the penalty with five early fouls and St. Elizabeth closed the quarter outscoring SJC 15-4 and never trailed again.
How it Happened
- The Eagles scored the first two baskets of the contest before St. Joseph's ran off 11 straight points powered by four points from Marino.
- After the Bears pushed their lead back to seven for the third time in the period, a late CSE trifecta to close the first followed by five quick points to open the second gave the Eagles the lead again.
- With the game tied 29-all less than three minute before intermission a Kristin Ferrigno triple followed by Catherine Drago and Samantha Simon buckets powered a 7-2 spurt to close the half.
- St. Joseph's kept their separation from St. Elizabeth early in the third but was plagued with five early fouls to put the Eagles in the bonus and Rakiyah Sellers scored nine of the next 11 points in a span of three minutes to put the opposition up for good.
- The Bears still remained within reach trailing by just five, 50-45, headed to the final frame, but the Eagles shot 65 percent (11-17) in the fourth quarter and pulled away outscoring SJC 27-11 in the period.
For the Bears
- Marino led the Bears for the second straight game with 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting also grabbing three boards.
- Sophomore Victoria Porcasi followed with 12 points and six rebounds.
- Freshman Catherine Drago logged her first double-figure game adding 10 points off the bench.
- In her first start in a Bears jersey Caitlyn Staab chipped in nine points on and grabbed five boards.
- Seniors Kristen Candelaria and Samantha Simon shared team-high honors with seven rebounds each.
Inside the Box Score
- SJC led for 17:43 of the contest that featured four ties and six lead changes.
- CSE held a slight edge in the rebounding battle, 47-43, but controlled scoring in the paint 34-18 and second-chance scoring, 12-1.
The Bear Facts
- This is the first meeting between the two schools since 2001. Both former rivals in the Hudson Valley Women's Athletic Conference, St. Elizabeth has won eight straight encounters and leads 17-9 in the all-time series.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears will close out their appearance in the Roadrunner Tip-Off with a consolation matchup against John Jay College on Saturday, November 19th starting at noon. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com.