NEW YORK — After trailing for the final four events, an 18-second victory in the final 200-yard freestyle relay lifted the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's swimming team to a come-from-behind, 48-46 victory over John Jay College in a non-conference dual meet on Monday evening.
- Final Scores: St. Joseph's 48, John Jay 46
- Records: St. Joseph's (5-6), John Jay (2-2)
- Location: New York, N.Y.
- Pool: John Jay Pool
- The Bears bookended the dual meet taking both relay events. The quartet of Valerie Rodriguez (Woodhaven, N.Y./New Utrecht), Rebecca Bollmann (Broad Channel/Monsignor McClancy), Shannon Doherty (Brooklyn, N.Y./Churchill), and Kathryn Cosenza (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) edged out the Bloodhounds by .33 seconds in the opening 200-yard medley relay that proved to be the key event.
- Needing a win in the final event, 200-yard freestyle relay squad of Cosenza, Kathleen O'Dea (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney), Kate Giunashvili (Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia/New Utrecht) and Jessica Gnad (Brooklyn, N.Y./Leon M. Goldstein) teamed up for a time of 2:08.53 for an 18-second victory that clinched the comeback.
- Junior Shannon Doherty collected one of two individual event wins taking the 50-yard freestyle (27.65) and took second place in the 100-yard butterfly (1:12.08), both season-bests.
- Junior Grace Penaloza (Woodbridge, Va./C.D. Hylton) swam a personal-best 7:46.41 to win the 500-yard freestyle by seven seconds that helped key the comeback. She also added a third-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle (2:41.73).
- Sophomore Jessica Gnad lowered her personal-best in the 100-yard breaststroke to 1:22.30, taking second place and added a third place in the 100-yard butterfly (1:13.21).
- Sophomore Kathryn Cosenza earned second-place points in the 200-yard freestyle with a personal-best 2:30.08.
- Freshman Kathleen O'Dea shaved three seconds off her personal best in the 50-yard freestyle touching the wall in 31.74, taking third in the event and grabbed second in the 100-yard freestyle (1:12.42).
- Sophomore Rebecca Bollmann nabbed second in the 200-yard individual medley (2:47.94) and added a third-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:24.35).
- Sophomore Valerie Rodriguez was out-touched at the wall in the 100-yard backstroke missing out on first by .16 seconds, finishing second with a time of 1:18.07.
The Bear Facts
- The Bears have now won three straight meetings over the Bloodhounds and improve to 3-2 in the all-time series.
Next Up for the Bears
- The Bears head back to sibling SJC Long Island for a non-conference double-dual meet with Baruch College this Saturday (Dec. 9) starting at 12 p.m.