KINGS POINT, N.Y. — In the team's first action in over a month after the holiday break, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women' swimming team picked up a 122-32 victory over The College of Mount Saint Vincent but fell to hosts and league unbeaten United States Merchant Marine Academy, 136-61, in a Skyline Conference double dual on Tuesday evening.
On the men's side, first-place USMMA defeated the Bears 129-47 to improve to 5-0 in league play.
- Women's Final: St. Joseph's def. Mount Saint Vincent, 122-32; USMMA def. St. Joseph's, 136-61; USMMA def. Mount Saint Vincent, 137-21
- Women's Records: St. Joseph's (5-6, 2-5), USMMA (7-0, 7-0), Mount Saint Vincent (0-2, 0-7)
- Men's Final: USMMA def. St. Joseph's, 129-47
- Men's Records: USMMA (5-0, 5-0), St. Joseph's (0-7, 0-5)
- Location: King's Point, N.Y.
- Pool: O'Hara Hall
- Sophomore Shannon Doherty took a second-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly with a personal-best 1:12.95 followed closely by freshman Jessica Gnad (1:14.60) who finished in third. Gnad also finished in fourth in the 50-yard freestyle (30.62).
- Freshman Kathryn Cosenza collected a pair of third-place finishes in the 100-yard freestyle (1:09.44) and 100-yard breaststroke (1:32.21).
- Freshman Eireann Corbett finished in third in the 500-yard freestyle (7:15.73) just a second ahead of teammate Rebecca Bollmann (7:16.76). Corbett also took third in the 1000-yard freestyle (14:52.29).
- Junior Brianna Minogue earned third-place points in the 200-yard freestyle (2:38.06) and fourth-place points in the 100-yard freestyle (1:10.47).
- Junior Cesar Oviedo was a split second off his personal best in the 50-yard freestyle (29.49) while Thomas Ambrosino swam a personal-best in the same event (40.35).
The Bear Facts
- With their fifth victory of the season, the women's swim team moves within one of matching their single-season wins record with three duals remaining.
- The win over Mount Saint Vincent was the second Skyline triumph after going winless in their inaugural season last year.
- The women improve to 5-2 all-time against Mount Saint Vincent.
Next Up for the Bears
Both squads have a day off before returning to the pool on Thursday, January 12 for a non-conference dual meet against the College of Staten Island starting at 6 p.m. Video will be available at SJCBears.com