PATCHOGUE, N.Y. — Picking up their first win of the season, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's swimming team broke three program records en route to a 102-77 non-conference victory over the College of New Rochelle. The women split the double dual falling to sibling rivals St. Joseph's College (Long Island) in their Skyline Conference opener while the men dropped a 68-31 decision to New Rochelle in their second collegiate meet.
- Women's Dual Scores: SJC Brooklyn 102, New Rochelle 77; SJC Long Island 109, SJC Brooklyn 63; SJC Long Island 109, New Rochelle 63
- Records: SJC Long Island (2-1, 1-1 Skyline), SJC Brooklyn (1-1, 0-1 Skyline), New Rochelle (0-2)
- Men's Final: New Rochelle 68, SJC Brooklyn 31
- Records: New Rochelle (1-0), SJC Brooklyn (0-1)
- Location: Patchogue, N.Y.
- Pool: Danzi Athletic Center
- The Bears women opened the meet swimming a program-best 2:09.18 in the 200-yard medley relay but were out-touched at the wall by just 16 hundredths of a second for first in the event. Senior Julia Dineen, freshmen Rebecca Bollmann and Jessie Gnad and sophomore Shannon Doherty teamed up to set the new standard.
- Doherty later etched her name on another SJC record posting a time of 2:21.28 in the 200-yard freestyle, placing third in the event. The sophomore now holds four individual records and is a part of all three record-holding relays.
- In another close race, Bollmann broke the longest standing record on the Bears record book, clocking in at 1:21.25 in the 100-yard breaststroke but was edged out by a tenth of a second from winning the event. The record previously held by Kristen McMaster '12 had stood for over four years.
- Dineen posted a time of 1:17.62 to finish in second place in the 100-yard backstroke.
- Kathryn Cosenza (1:06.91) and Brianna Minogue (1:10.43) teamed up to finish second and third in the 100-yard freestyle.
- The Bears women collected their lone victory in the double dual meet taking the 200-yard freestyle relay with Minogue, Valerie Rodriguez, and freshmen Eireann Corbett and Cosenza combining for a 7-second victory with time of 2:03.78.
- Senior Matthew Ramirez took first in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:26.95) and second in the 100-yard freestyle (1:19.06) to lead the men.
- Senior Matthew Smith and junior Alec Smalley both added second- and third-place points to the Bears' ledger. Smith seized second in the 50-yard freestyle while Smalley grabbed second in the 100-yard backstroke.
Next Up for the Bears
SJC Brooklyn's men's and women's squads will head to Purchase, N.Y. to square off with Mount Saint Mary College and Purchase College in a Skyline Conference double dual hosted by Purchase starting at 6 p.m.