NEWARK, N.J. — Powered by a 13-hit effort and a complete-game shutout from Jessica Mecham (West Jordan, Utah/Copper Hills) the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team defeated Rutgers University-Newark, 4-0, in game two to split a doubleheader on Thursday evening. The Bears were held to just two hits in a 3-0 defeat in the opener.
Game 1: Rutgers-Newark 3, St. Joseph's 0
After a pitchers duel through three-and-a-half with both hurlers surrendering a combined three hits, the Scarlet Raiders broke through for an unearned run in the fourth with Julie Contravo knocking a one-out hit and moving all the way to third on an error. The hosts then drew three straight walks with two-outs, all coming on a full count, to bring Contravo home as the lead run.
The hosts tacked on solo runs in the fifth and sixth, but the Scarlet Raiders held the Bears to just two hits in the contest with Vanessa Quigley's (Staten Island, N.Y./New Dorp) knock in the seventh the lone Bear hit in the final three frames.
Game 2: St. Joseph's 4, Rutgers-Newark 0
The nightcap saw the game scoreless again through three, but it would be the Bears who would break through in the fourth piling on four runs in the frame.
Ashleigh Hartwig (Santee, Calif./West Hills) and Trani led off the inning with back-to-back singles, both moving to scoring position with a productive out, Jessica Mecham helped her cause in the circle knocking an opposite-field single to bring home Hartwig to open the scoring. Another hit loaded the bases again, setting up Brianna Baglino (Howard Beach, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) for a two-run double down the left field line, that pushed the lead to 3-0 and knocked the Rutgers starter out of the circle. Jessica Vento (Massapequa, N.Y./Massapequa) greeted the reliever with a single that added another run and capped off the scoring at 4-0.
The Scarlet Raiders managed to get a runner into scoring position in the fifth and sixth but couldn't string anything all game against Mecham who surrendered no more than one hit per inning.
For the Bears
- Daniela Trani and Vanessa Quigley both hit successfully in both ends of the doubleheader collecting a pair of hits, with Trani also adding a walk and run scored.
- Victoria Mahoney (Allenwood, N.J./Saint John Vianney) took the loss in the circle in game one striking out five, allowing two earned runs. The senior batted 3-for-4 in the nightcap.
- Jessica Mecham registered her first collegiate victory and shutout scattering six hits over seven innings, striking out two and walking none. She improves to 1-2 in the circle.
- Brianna Baglino's had a 2-for-3 effort in game two with a double and two RBI.
- Ashleigh Hartwig also knocked a pair of hits in the nightcap finishing 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
Next Up for the Bears
The Bears host Hunter College (0-0) in their home opener on Friday (Mar. 15) at Gil Hodges Field. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m. with live stats and video on SJCBears.com.