BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Seniors Kristin Ferrigno (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney), Samantha Rossi (Bayside, N.Y./Mary Louis) and Samantha Simon (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) combined for 11 hits, 13 runs scored and eight RBI as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) closed out the regular season with convincing 12-0 and 21-1 victories over Yeshiva University on Sunday afternoon.
Scoring six runs on the day, Ferrigno became the 14th player to score 100 runs. Fourteen different Bears in total knocked a hit as the squad combined for 35 hits on the afternoon and 13 different players recorded a RBI.
With the regular season complete, the team currently awaits the result of the Yeshiva/Purchase doubleheader on Tuesday—needing Yeshiva to win one game—to see if they will claim the final spot in the upcoming Skyline Conference Championships.
- Final Scores: St. Joseph's 12, Yeshiva 0 (Game 1 – 5 innings) St. Joseph's 21, Yeshiva 1 (Game 2 – 5 innings)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Field: American Legion Field
- Records: St. Joseph's (18-12, 8-10), Yeshiva (2-16, 0-14)
Game 1: St. Joseph's 12, Yeshiva 0 (5 innings)
- SJC Starters: Simon (SS), Csikortos (2B), Wainwright (DP), Ferrigno (3B), Marino (CF), Rossi (LF), Gentile (1B), Baglino (C), Rancel (RF), Mahoney (P)
- The Bears scored early and often posting five runs in the first and six in the second. After an Amber Wainwright single opened the scoring, Kristin Ferrigno launched a three-run blast—her second homer of the season.
- St. Joseph's laced five extra-base hits in the second and Destiny Marino's first home run of the season, a three-run blast, headlined the six-run frame. Ferrigno, Maria Gentile and Brianna Baglino all knocked run-scoring doubles.
- Victoria Mahoney had another dominant start in the circle striking out eight of the 13 batters she faced, and allowing just one hit, over four near perfect innings. Theresa Armano closed out the combined shutout with a four-batter fifth.
- Amber Wainwright knocked three hits, finishing 3-for-3 with a double, two runs scored and a RBI.
- Kristin Ferrigno drove in four runs finishing 2-for-3 with a double, home run and two runs scored.
- Destiny Marino homered in her lone hit of a 1-for-2 effort, driving in three runs.
- Maria Gentile and Samantha Rossi both had 2-for-3 games. Gentile scored twice and drove in a run and Rossi scored once.
- Victoria Mahoney tossed her second combined shutout of the season to improve to 11-6 in the circle. Fanning eight against no walks and one hit, she runs her total to 99 strikeouts for the season.
Game 2: St. Joseph's 21, Yeshiva 1
- SJC Starters: Simon (SS), Rancel (RF), Wainwright (C), Ferrigno (3B), Gentile (1B), Rossi (LF), Csikortos (DP), Marino (CF), Quintana (2B), Erhardt (P)
- Yeshiva knocked two straight hits to lead off the game and pushed across a run on a grounder to score their lone run of the contest.
- The Maccabees held the lead until the second when St. Joseph's exploded for 12 runs in a frame that saw the Bears fall one batter short of batting around twice. A Destiny Marino two-run double opened the scoring and proved to be the game-winner. After a bases-loaded walk by Kristin Ferrigno, the Bears knocked three-straight run-scoring hits, capped by Paige Csikortos' three-run blast to center.
- After the early blemish on starter Madison Erhardt, she surrendered just one more hit in three innings of work. Theresa Armano came in to close out the game sitting down all six batters she faced.
- Kristin Ferrigno paced the Bears with a 3-for-3 outing, four runs scored and a RBI. Singling and coming around to score in the fourth, she scored her milestone run.
- Samantha Rossi and Samantha Simon both knocked a pair of hits. Rossi drive in a pair and scored three times while fellow senior Simon drove in one and scored once.
- Paige Csikortos launched her second home run of the season, finishing 2-for-2 with three RBI and two runs.
- Theresa Armano, Destiny Marino and Nicole Quintana all went 2-for-2—Armano collecting three RBI and a run, Marino accumulating two runs and two RBI, and Quintana driving in a pair and scoring once.
The Bear Facts
- The Bears 20-run victory in game two matched a program record for largest margin of victory set twice previously and not since the 2007 season.
- The 12 runs in the second inning of game two fell one shy of tying most runs in an inning.
- St. Joseph's 23 hits in game two finished third most in a single game and their 19 RBI is tied for third most.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
Sitting with a Skyline record of 8-10, the Bears now await the result of the Purchase/Yeshiva doubleheader on Tuesday to see if they will clinch a spot in the Skyline Conference Championships. The Bears need Yeshiva to collect their first league win of the season in order to advance. While the teams split their doubleheader meeting and could finish with equal 8-10 records, Purchase holds the tiebreaker over the Bears, handing Mount Saint Mary—who have already locked up the regular-season title—their only league loss of the season.