BELLEROSE, N.Y. — Freshman Madison Erhardt (Baltimore, Md./Dulaney) notched her first win in the circle striking out five and junior Theresa Armano (Middle Village, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) and Victoria Mahoney (Allenwood, N.J./Saint John Vianney) combined to strike out six as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team posted 9-0 and 14-0 victories over York College on Wednesday afternoon.
Freshman Amber Wainwright (Taunton, Mass./Taunton) paced the team at the dish accumulating three hits, six RBI, and three runs scored.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's def York, 9-0 (5 inn) and 14-0 (5 inn).
- Location: Bellerose, N.Y.
- Field: Padavan-Preller Field
- Records: St. Joseph's (11-7), York (0-10)
Game 1: St. Joseph's 9, York 0 (5 innings)
- SJC Starters: Simon (SS), Csikortos (DP) Wainwright (C), Ferrigno (3B), Quintana (2B), Rossi (LF), Gentile (1B), Marino (CF), Rancel (RF), Erhardt (P)
- Making her first career start in the circle, Madison Erhardt retired the first 11 batters she faced, striking out three and not letting a ball leave the infield.
- The Bears supported her cause with an unearned run in the first on a Destiny Marino sacrifice fly and two more unearned runs in the third on a Cardinal error.
- St. Joseph's tacked on three more in the fourth on a Amber Wainwright RBI-single and a Samantha Rossi two-out, two-run triple.
- The Bears tacked on three more in the fifth to reach the run threshold, Samantha Simon delivering a run-scoring double and Wainwright bringing two more home with a two-run single.
- Madison Erhardt faced just two batters over the minimum in her first complete-game shutout. The freshman struck out five, walked one and scattered hits in the fourth and fifth.
- Amber Wainwright finished 2-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored.
- Samantha Rossi batted 1-for-2 with two RBI, a run, and a triple.
- Samantha Simon went 1-for-2 with a RBI double, scoring twice and walking once.
- Nicole Quintana knocked one of the three extra-base hits with a double in the third.
Game 2: St. Joseph's 14, York 0 (5 innings)
- SJC Starters: Simon (SS), Csikortos (2B), Wainwright (DP), Ferrigno (3B), Gentile (1B), Rossi (RF), Marino (CF), Baglino (C), Rancel (LF), Armano (P)
- The Bears scored in bunches with four runs in the first, four in the third and six in the fourth, plating 14 runs on just four hits, 12 walks and aided by six Cardinal errors—allowing seven to score unearned.
- Amber Wainwright recorded the only RBI via hit with a two-run double in the third. St. Joseph's brought home three runs with productive groundouts. Four more RBIs were recorded by walks or hit batters.
- Amber Wainwright finished 1-for-3 with three RBI, three runs scored, a double and a stolen base and was hit twice.
- Stephanie Rancel, walked three times and singled in her only official at bat in the third. She scored twice and stole a base.
- Paige Csikortos went 1-for-3 with three runs scored and a walk.
- Samantha Simon knocked a single in the third, stole three bases and walked once.
- Kristin Ferrigno and Samantha Rossi collected two RBI each; Maria Gentile and Gabriella Fielding also drove in a run each—all four without a hit.
- Theresa Armano struck out two and allowed just one hit in two innings of work in a no-decision. Victoria Mahoney fanned four over three innings, allowing one hit and one walk to pick up her seventh win in the circle in relief.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's notched double-digit wins for the first time under Head Coach Danielle Fazzolare surpassing their nine wins last season.
- The Bears improve to 22-0 in the all-time series against the Cardinals.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return to Skyline Conference action on Friday, April 12 hosting SUNY College at Old Westbury in a key matchup at American Legion Field. The doubleheader is set to begin at noon with live stats and video available on SJCBears.com.