BRONXVILLE, N.Y. — Freshman Brianna Baglino's (Howard Beach, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) first collegiate home run helped the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team complete a come-from-behind 3-2 victory over Sarah Lawrence College in Skyline Conference action on Saturday. Behind Victoria Mahoney's (Allenwood, N.J./Saint John Vianney) two-hit shutout and Kristin Ferrigno's (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) first home run of the season, the Bears swept the series with a 6-0 victory in game two.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's def. Sarah Lawrence, 3-2 and 6-0.
- Location: Bronxville, N.Y.
- Field: Mary LeVine Field
- Records: St. Joseph's (9-5, 3-3), Sarah Lawrence (5-15, 2-8)
Game 1: St. Joseph's 3, Sarah Lawrence 2
- SJC Starters: Csikortos (RF), Simon (SS), Wainwright (DP), Ferrigno (3B), Rossi (LF), Gentile (1B), Quintana (2B), Marino (CF), Baglino (C), Armano (P)
- Sarah Lawrence scored first plating two unearned runs in the top of the first after a leadoff Bear miscue and knocking three hits in the frame.
- St. Joseph's cut the deficit in half in the bottom half of the inning after Samantha Simon knocked a double followed by Amber Wainwright's single that put runners on the corners. The Bears then successfully executed the double steal with Simon racing home for the Bears' first run.
- A leadoff single by Kristin Ferrigno in the fourth set the stage for the game-tying run. Advancing to second on a grounder, a Nicole Quintana two-out single brought her home to knot the game at 2-all.
- After the two early blemishes, Theresa Armano took control of the circle and hurled six scoreless innings allowing just two more hits over the stretch.
- Leading off the seventh, Brianna Baglino launched a ball over the left field fence to complete the come-from-behind victory.
- Kristin Ferrigno (2-for-3), Samantha Simon (2-for-2), and Brianna Baglino (2-for-3) all knocked a pair of hits and scored once.
- Baglino and Nicole Quintana (1-for-3) both drove in a run.
- Theresa Armano improved to 3-2 in the circle, both runs coming against her unearned and scattering five hits.
Game 2: St. Joseph's 6, Sarah Lawrence 0
- SJC Starters: Simon (SS), Csikortos (RF), Wainwright (C), Ferrigno (3B), Gentile (1B), Rossi (LF), Quintana (2B), Baglino (DP), Rancel (CF), Mahoney (P)
- Victoria Mahoney silenced the Gryphon bats all game facing just three batters over the minimum and no runner reaching second base.
- Kristin Ferrigno opened the scoring in the second inning with a leadoff home run for the game-winner and the Bears tacked on two more runs in the third on a squeeze bunt by Paige Csikortos and a Ferrigno single.
- A Stephanie Rancel two-out single in the fourth pushed the lead to 4-0 while Mahoney was still working on a one-hitter.
- Victoria Mahoney tossed her second career shutout striking out a career-high 10, surrendering just two hits and one walk.
- Kristin Ferrigno led the Bears at the plate with a 2-for-3 effort, two RBI and two runs scored and a home run—the second of her career.
- Amber Wainwright also knocked a pair of hits, finishing 2-for-3.
- Stephanie Rancel (1-for-2) drove in a run and scored a run.
The Bear Facts
- Baglino's blast was the second walk-off home run in program history and the 11th walk-off win all time. Caitlyn Kakavas '12 launched the only other walk-off homer against Briarcliffe in April 2011.
- The Bears continue their dominance of the series improving to 27-1 all-time against Sarah Lawrence. Long time Hudson Valley Women's Athletic Conference rivals, the Gryphons took their first win in the series in a split of last year's Skyline encounter.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return to action tomorrow facing Farmingdale State College in a Skyline Conference matchup starting at noon. Originally scheduled as a home game at American Legion Field, the twin bill has been moved to Farmingdale State College with the Bears batting as the home team. Live stats and video (tentative) will be available on SJCBears.com.