CHESTER, N.Y. — Senior Kristin Ferrigno (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) knocked two of the six Bear hits on evening, but the defending champion and preseason favorite Mount Saint Mary College handed the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team a pair of losses, 5-1 and 5-0, on Tuesday evening in Skyline play.
- Final Score: Mount Saint Mary def. St. Joseph's, 5-1 and 5-0 (6 inn).
- Location: Chester, N.Y.
- Field: The Rock Sports Complex
- Records: Mount Saint Mary (11-7, 6-0), St. Joseph's (7-5, 1-3)
Game 1: Mount Saint Mary 5, St. Joseph's 1
- SJC Starters: Csikortos (RF), Rancel (CF), Wainwright (DP), Ferrigno (3B), Rossi (LF), Gentile (1B), Quintana (2B), Baglino (C), Simon (SS), Mahoney (P)
- Both starters hurled four shutout innings. MSMC starter retired the first 10 Bears before Stephanie Rancel's single up the middle ended the perfect game bid.
- St. Joseph's drew first blood in the fifth with Samantha Rossi leading off the inning with a single and advancing to scoring position on a Brianna Baglino two-out single. Samantha Simon then knocked a single to left to break the deadlock and put the Bears up 1-0.
- But the Knights with respond with four in the home half of the inning and Michelle Surdan's three-run home run proving to be the difference.
- The Knights tacked on an insurance run in the sixth and Connoly kept the Bears off the base paths the final two frames.
- The Bears were held to four hits in defeat.
- Rancel (1-3), Rossi (1-3, R), Baglino (1-2), Simon (1-2, RBI) collected the four hits, all singles.
- Victoria Mahoney (5-2) took the loss in the circle, striking out two and allowing seven hits.
Game 2: Mount Saint Mary 5, St. Joseph's 0
- SJC Starters: Csikortos (RF), Rancel (CF), Wainwright (C), Ferrigno (3B), Rossi (LF), Gentile (1B), Quintana (2B), Baglino (DP), Simon (SS), Armano (P)
- The Knights got on the board in the first with a solo run on a Breanna DePasquale RBI grounder.
- St. Joseph's threatened to counter in the second after a leadoff single by Kristin Ferrigno followed by a Samantha Rossi walk, later advancing to second and third on a grounder, but the Bears came away empty handed.
- Mount Saint Mary jumped ahead 3-0 after three before St. Joseph's threatened again in the fourth. Amber Wainwright drew a leadoff walk and Ferrigno knocked her second hit of the game, but the Bears left two runners in scoring position again.
- With the Bears going down in order in the fifth and sixth innings, rain forced the game to be called in the bottom of the sixth with the Knights having the bases loaded and no outs.
- Kristin Ferrigno (2-for-3) knocked the lone hits for the Bears.
- Stephanie Rancel, Amber Wainwright and Samantha Rossi all drew a walk.
- Theresa Armano (2-2) took the loss surrendering three earned runs and seven hits, with two strikeouts.
The Bear Facts
- Amber Wainwright saw her 10-game hitting streak snapped in game one.
- St. Joseph's suffered 8-0 (5 inning) and 7-3 defeats in the first meeting between the two squads last season.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears are scheduled to return to action in a pair of home doubleheaders this weekend. Sarah Lawrence College visits American Legion Field on Saturday in a Skyline Conference twin bill starting at 11 a.m. Live stats will be available at SJCBears.com