BROOKLYN, N.Y. — In their first home match in over a month, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's volleyball team dropped a pair of straight-set decisions to the College of Staten Island and Rutgers University-Newark on Saturday afternoon at The Hill Center.
Junior Thomas Ambrosino (Staten Island, N.Y./New Dorp) paced the attack with six kills, 10 digs, and three blocks on the day. Sophomore Andre Williams (Brooklyn, N.Y./Erasmus) had two kills and stuffed four solo blocks.
- Final Score: Staten Island def. St. Joseph's, 3-0; Rutgers-Newark def. St. Joseph's, 3-0
- Set Scores vs. Staten Island: 25-10, 25-12, 25-14
- Set Scores vs. Rutgers-Newark: 25-12, 25-8, 25-7
- Records: Rutgers-Newark (8-12), Staten Island (3-7), St. Joseph's (1-15)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arena: The Hill Center
How It Happened vs. Staten Island
- The second set saw the Bears race out to a 5-1 lead powered by a pair of kills by Thomas Ambrosino and a Mark Antoun service ace, but the Dolphins rallied and with the set tied 8-8, CSI scored eight straight to stay on top for good.
- Ambrosino finished with four kills, six digs, and a block to lead the Bears. Alec Smalley put away three kills with four digs.
- McNeilsen Saint-Jean added a kill and two blocks. Chris Garcia anchored the back line with a team-high seven digs.
- Mark Antoun handed out six assists and served up the lone Bear ace.
- Mark Palencia led Staten Island with a 14-kill, 10-dig double-double. The visitors combined for 37 kills and hit .226 as a team.
How It Happened vs. Rutgers-Newark
- The visiting Scarlet Raiders who went 2-0 over the tri-match were too much for the Bears hitting .456 as a team and putting away 37 kills, never trailing in the match.
- Ambrosino and Smalley both landed two kills each to pace the offense.
- Andre Williams added a kill and stuffed three blocks.
- Keyshawn Wright served up the only Bears ace for his first career point.
- Malik Patel paced Rutgers-Newark with 13 kills and Jake Connors had 12 kills and five aces.
Next Up for the Bears
- The St. Joseph's will return to action at The Hill Center on Thursday, March 9th, hosting Brooklyn rivals Medgar Evers College looking to complete the season sweep after a five-set marathon in February. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com with first serve set for 7 p.m.