PURCHASE, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) captured their first Skyline Conference victory of the season, upending The Sage Colleges, 6-3, on Saturday morning.
Sophomore Shivam Ghai (Nairobi, Kenya/Interational School of Kenya), junior Alec Smalley (Fresh Meadows, N.Y./St. Francis Prep), and Israel Bautista (Forest Hills, N.Y./Forest Hills) all went undefeated on the day and sophomore Denise Trerotola (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Saviour) won her fourth straight singles match in straight sets.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 6, Sage 3
- Records: St. Joseph's (2-9, 1-6 Skyline), Sage (0-12, 0-7 Skyline)
- Location: Purchase, N.Y.
- Courts: Purchase College Tennis Courts
- Shivam Ghai teamed up with Kevin Caicedo in the top doubles match and they posted the first point on the board with an 8-3 victory. Alec Smalley and Israel Bautista teamed up for an 8-1 win in the No. 3 flight and St. Joseph's took a 2-1 lead after the doubles session.
- Ghai captured his first win at No. 1 singles in straight sets 6-3, 6-1 to take the first point in singles.
- Denise Trerotola followed Ghai with a 6-0, 6-2 triumph at No. 5 singles to win her fourth straight and improves to 5-1 at that flight.
- Alec Smalley posted the deciding point with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles.
- Israel Bautista notched his first collegiate singles victory winning 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 6 position.
- Caicedo cruised to a 6-1 opening set victory at No. 2 singles, but couldn't hold off his opponent, eventually falling in a third set super-tiebreaker 10-5.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
- The Bears will close out their 2017 campaign against Farmingdale State College in a Skyline road tilt tomorrow at noon.