BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's soccer team (1-7) kicked off Skyline Conference play on Tuesday night, falling to Purchase College (2-2), 2-3, from Aviator Field. The game was also the Bears' first home game of the season.
How it Happened
Freshman Joao Gavilanes (Fresh Meadows, N.Y./Francis Lewis) found senior Thomas Mastoras (Bayside, NY/Francis Lewis) to give the Bears an early 1-0 with an eighth-minute goal. Purchase's Rolando Osguera quickly leveled the scoring five minutes later. The Panthers added to their lead in the 25th minute. In the 34th minute, Osguera's second goal of the game brought the Purchase lead to 3-1.
After entering the game as a half-time substitute, sophomore midfielder Joseph Sepulveda (East Elmhurst, N.Y./Bayside) took two of the three shots for the Bears in the first half-hour of the second period. Sepulveda found the back of the net in the 80th minute, courtesy of a pass from Justin Wright (Hempstead, N.Y./Uniondale) to narrow the visitors' lead to 3-2. The Bears took two shots in the final six minutes of the game but were unable to level the score before the end of the match.
For the Bears
- Sepulveda's goal was his team-leading fourth of the season.
- Gavilanes and Wright recorded the first assists of their collegiate careers.
- Mastoras and newcomer Mohamed Ndiaye Jr. (Senegal, West Africa/Washington Irving) totaled four shots each to lead the team.
- Mateusz Georges (Brooklyn, N.Y./New Utrecht) led the Bears with two shots on goal.
- Alejandro Oliveros (Brooklyn, N.Y. Grover Cleveland) outsaved his counterpart 6-2.
The Bears are back on the road to face borough-rivals Brooklyn College on Saturday, September 21 at 12 p.m.