NEW YORK — Mateusz Georges (Brooklyn, N.Y./New Utrecht) and Sergio Larios (Woodside, N.Y./William C. Bryant) both scored their first goal of the season, but the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's soccer team fell in a one-goal loss at Randall's Island to Baruch College. Neither side gained an edge as it was tied at one at the half, but an 80th-minute goal from the Bearcats sealed their first win of the season.
- Final Score: Baruch 3, St. Joseph's 2
- Records: Baruch (1-2), St. Joseph's (0-3)
- Location: New York, N.Y. — Randall's Island Field 10
How It Happened
- Georges got the scoring started in the 18th minute as Thomas Mastoras (Flushing, N.Y./Francis Lewis) lined up a 40-yard free-kick and launched it into the box, where Georges corralled it and tapped it into the left side of the net.
- Ricardo Llanos answered fifteen minutes later with a Bearcat goal to knot things up at one. The score remained 1-1 entering the second half, but Baruch took their first lead as Llanos received a pass from Ryan Mendes and beat the goalie one-on-one for his second score of the game (49th minute) and a 2-1 lead.
- St. Joseph's responded as Mastoras delivered another pass into the box and Larios chipped it high over the keepers' head to even the score once again in the 56th minute. Both squads were aggressive throughout but the 2-2 gridlock held until the 80th minute when Cormac Foley struck the game-winner from inside the box.
For the Bears
- Georges' goal was his first of 2018 and the second of this career, while Larios scored his first collegiate goal in the second game of his rookie season.
- Mastoras dished out two assists taking the team lead in the category, as well as entering into a four-way tie for second on the team in points (two).
- Kenneth Garcia (Elmhurst, N.Y./Bayside) led the team in shots with three (one on goal), but his two-game goal streak was snapped in the loss.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Alejandro Oliveros (Brooklyn, N.Y./Grover Cleveland) saved seven shots in defeat.
Next Up for the Bears
- A trip to the SJC Long Island Tournament in Patchogue, N.Y. as they take on York College (N.Y.) on Saturday (Sep. 8) with kick-off set for 3 p.m.