FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — Freshman Kenneth Garcia (Elmhurst, N.Y./Bayside) scored his team-leading third goal of the year on Saturday against number two in the Skyline preseason coaches poll, Farmingdale State. However, four unanswered scores in the final 15 minutes of the contest gave the Rams a 5-2 league victory.
- Final Score: Farmingdale 5, St. Joseph's 2
- Records: Farmingdale (5-3, 2-2), St. Joseph's (0-7-1, 0-3)
- Location: Farmingdale, N.Y.
How It Happened
- A scoreless tie held for the first 34 minutes, but at 34:11 Tobi Ojuade took a through pass from Gerard Farrell and rifled it in from 15 yards for a 1-0 Rams lead.
- Sophomore Gemar Lezeau (Jamaica, N.Y./St. John's Prep) would answer nine minutes later off of an assist from senior Michael Ortiz (Brooklyn, N.Y./Christ the King) for his first career goal.
- The second half started consistent to the first, with a 1-1 stalemate remaining until the 73rd minute. Then, Garcia forced a turnover and did the rest himself, scoring from 10 yards out for a 2-1 SJC advantage.
- It didn't take long for the home team to respond, as an explosion of four straight goals (two from Carlos Rivera) in the games last 15 minutes landed FSC their second Skyline triumph.
For the Bears
- Garcia padded him team-lead in goals with his third, coming on five shots (three on goal).
- Lezeau was perfect on the day, netting a goal on the only shot he attempted.
- Freshman Alejandro Oliveros (Brooklyn, N.Y./Grover Cleveland) landed the start at keeper, coming away with five saves despite allowing five goals.
The Bear Facts
- With Garcia's goal in the 73rd minute, the Bears notched their first lead of the 2017 campaign.
- The loss drops St. Joseph's to 0-3 all-time against the Rams.
Next Up for the Bears
- A showdown with Purchase State on Tuesday (Oct. 3) at Aviator. Kick-off is set for 7:30 p.m. Live stats available at SJCBears.com.