Men’s Soccer Battles Hunter to Scoreless Draw

Men’s Soccer Battles Hunter to Scoreless Draw

NEW YORK — Two teams fighting for their first win of the season, St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) and Hunter College played to a 0-0 deadlock after two overtimes on Tuesday afternoon at Randall's Island. The Bears had the better scoring opportunities from both sides and held a 9-4 shot advantage and 7-3 edge in corners.

The Basics

  • Final Score: St. Joseph's 0, Hunter 0
  • Records: St. Joseph's (0-2-1), Hunter (0-5-1)
  • Location: New York, N.Y. — Randall's Island

How It Happened

  • The Bears came out of the gates aggressive, as senior Cesar Oviedo (South Ozone Park, N.Y./Christ the King) attempted the first shot of the game in the ninth minute.
  • Sophomore Miles Barron (Washington, D.C./Parkmont School) had the first good scoring opportunity of the game receiving a pass in front of goal with space, but fired a weak shot into the goalie.
  • The Bears controlled play for most of the half holding the Hawks without a shot until the 39th minute. The second stanza saw more of the same as SJC maintained a 4-0 edge in shots in the period, but unable to find the back of the net.
  • Kenneth Garcia (Elmhurst, N.Y./Bayside) gained a good opportunity late in the second overtime turning the corner to break in on goal, but his shot fired just wide.

For the Bears

  • Sophomore keeper Julian Rodriguez (Whitestone, N.Y./Bayside) saved all three shots on goal for his first shutout of the season and third of his career.
  • Barron fired four shots on the day and freshman Kenneth Garcia (Elmhurst, N.Y./Bayside) attempted two of his own, as they tried to ignite a stagnant Bears offense.

The Bear Facts

  • This is the two program's second meeting, with Hunter taking the first, 2-0 (Sep. 14, 2016).

Next Up for the Bears

  • The second of three in a row on the road as the Bears head to the Garden State to on Kean this Sunday starting at 2 p.m. Live stats and video with be available at