RIVERDALE, N.Y. — With both squads tied for sixth place and jockeying for the final spot in the Skyline Conference Championship, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's soccer team came back after trailing 2-0, but Mount Saint Vincent scored two second-half goals and handed the Bears a 4-2 setback on Tuesday afternoon.
- Final Score: Mount Saint Vincent 4, St. Joseph's 2
- Records: Mount Saint Vincent (6-9-1, 5-4 Skyline), St. Joseph's (6-10, 4-6 Skyline)
- Location: Riverdale, N.Y. – Athletic Field at Marillac
How It Happened
- The Dolphins scored just 21 seconds into the contest to take an early lead and extended their advantage to two with a goal in the 27th minute from Jair Magellan pouncing on a rebound.
- The Bears started to cut into the deficit scoring their first goal in the 32nd minute on a free kick from Michael Ortiz was headed across the box to Matthias Spiegel on the back post who put it into the back of the net.
- Just five minutes later the Bears equalized at 2-all on another free kick when Cesar Oviedo buried one into the upper 90 from 20 yards out that sent the team into the lockers tied.
- In the second half, both teams remained deadlocked until a second yellow card forced the Bears a man down for the rest of the match. The Dolphins took advantage and scored 10 minutes later when a ball found its way into the 6-yard box and onto the foot of Berisha Ardijan for the game-winner.
- Playing with 10, the Bears managed just two shots in the half and the Dolphins finished with a 9-2 shot discrepancy for the half. The hosts tacked on a fourth goal in the final minute of regulation.
For the Bears
- Junior Cesar Oviedo scored his fourth goal of the season and the second in three games.
- Senior John Kane scored his first collegiate goal.
- Michael Ortiz and Beka Goduadze both handed out their fourth assist of the season.
- Freshman Julian Rodriguez finished with five saves.
The Bear Facts
- Mount Saint Vincent wins all three meetings in the all-time series. The previous two encounters have been shutouts with the Dolphins outscoring the Bears a combined 8-0.
- St. Joseph's falls to seventh place in the league standings with one conference game remaining.
Next up for St. Joseph's
After five straight Skyline Conference affairs, the Bears will play a non-conference game on Saturday, October 22 at Lehman College starting at noon. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com.