HARTFORD, Conn. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's basketball team took on Westfield State University in the consolation game of the Trinity College Holiday Invitational on Sunday afternoon. The Bears had a very strong second half, but it proved too little too late and they fell in their final contest before the new year. Despite the loss, senior captain Alec Willis (Staten Island, N.Y./St. Joseph by the Sea) was named to the All-Tournament team averaging 16 ppg over the two contests.
- Final Score: Westfield State 90, St. Joseph's 79
- Records: Westfield State (6-7), St. Joseph's (5-7)
- Location: Hartford, Conn. — Ooosting Gymnasium
- SJC Starters: Willis (G), Sirakis (G), Etheart (F), Etheart (F), Meiner (F)
- Westfield State ran out to a 15-4 run to close out the first half as they held a convincing 52-29 lead at the break.
How It Happened
- Eight minutes into play, sophomore Stephane Etheart (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) finished a layup to knot the score at 13. However, the Owls immediately posted a 12-0 to assert themselves at the nine-minute mark.
- Westfield closed out the half with their 15-4 spurt and 16 points from Moody Bey (7-10 FG, 2-4 3FG) at intermission pushed their lead to 13 heading into the third.
- The Bears went down fighting though as a Willis three-ball capped off a 13-0 run (8:45) cutting WSU's lead to 72-57. The two sides traded buckets for the remainder of the game, but St. Joseph's could climb ahead and fell in their last non-conference tilt of the season.
For the Bears
- Willis tallied a game-high 27 points on very efficient shooting (9-11 FG, 6-7 3FG), on top of four rebounds, assists, and steals.
- Sophomore guard Dimitri Sirakis (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) shined as well with 20 points, four assists, and three rebounds.
- Etheart snagged a game-high 10 rebounds for the second straight game along with eight points.
Inside the Box Score
- SJC was scorching from deep hitting at a 60% rate compared to Westfield's 38.5%.
- Additionally, St. Joseph's outrebounded their opponents by two winning the glass battle 39-37.
The Bear Facts
- Willis' 27 points were a season-high, as he recorded his career-high of 31 last year against Medgar Evers.
- The last time these two programs met (2010-11) Westfield State picked up a convincing 81-47 victory.
Next Up for the Bears
- A Skyline road game at Purchase State on Wednesday (Jan. 3) at 6 p.m.