PATCHOGUE, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team hosted SUNY College at Old Westbury for a pair of Skyline contests on Tuesday evening, dropping both as the visitors swept the day. The Bears took an early lead in game one but couldn't hold on, and their offense never found its footing in game two as they didn't get on the scoreboard until the later innings.
- Final Score (Game 1): Old Westbury 12, St. Joseph's 5
- Final Score (Game 2): Old Westbury 6, St. Joseph's 1
- Records: Old Westbury (19-13-1, 11-5 Skyline), St. Joseph's (5-28, 3-13 Skyline)
- Location: Patchogue, N.Y. — SJC Outdoor Field Complex
How It Happened (Game 1)
- Old Westbury got on the board first with a sac fly in the opening half inning and then added two more with two outs in the second on an infield single and double to left field. However, the Bears quickly answered in the bottom of the second as Joseph Langan (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded for a run and two wild pitches brought in two more to tie the game at three.
- Anthony Palermo (Patchogue, N.Y./Sachem North) singled to open the Bears' third and Kevin Reyes (Bronx, N.Y./AECI) followed with a double putting two runners in scoring position with no outs. Michael Gonzalez (Brooklyn, N.Y./Midwood) came up with the clutch hit two batters later as his two-run single had SJC ahead 5-3 after three full.
- The Panthers continued the early scoring in the top of the fourth, launching three-straight extra-base hits, capped by a Liam Slattery triple, to tie the game at five. Then, a Pete Capel single drove in Slattery to take a slim 6-5 lead. They held the one-run lead until breaking it open in the eighth as four hits and an SJC error resulted in six OW runs to essentially put the game away.
How It Happened (Game 2)
- Mike Manetta tripled with one out in the top of the second and was driven in by the next batter to open the scoring for Old Westbury. An inning later they scored again, first on a throwing error and then on an RBI single from John Fogarty as they held a 3-0 advantage after three.
- A Bear error opened the top of the sixth and John Condon capitalized, driving the run home on a single to right. Manetta stepped up next and doubled to continue the scoring and he later scored on a sac fly for a 6-0 lead.
- SJC broke into the run column in the bottom half as Palermo knocked a single to center to drive in Matthew Trudden (Broad Channel, N.Y./Christ the King), but the comeback stopped there and the visitors completed the sweep.
For the Bears
- Justus Acosta (Little Neck, N.Y./Holy Cross) (two hits in game one), Reyes (two doubles in game one), Palermo, Gonzalez, and Langan all picked up a hit in each contest.
- J.J. McLaughlin (Elmont, N.Y./Sewanhaka) tosses 1.1 innings of scoreless relief in game one and Andrew Watters (Brooklyn, N.Y./Xaverian) went all seven innings in the second game allowing four earned runs while striking out three.
Next Up for the Bears
- Their final game of the year at Calvert Vaux Park taking on John Jay tomorrow (Apr. 25) at 4 p.m. with live stats and video at SJCBears.com.