BROOKLYN, N.Y. — In a return to Skyline Conference play, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team hosted SJC Long Island and suffered two defeats in a doubleheader. Game one was a low-scoring, close affair that went to 10 innings, as a Bears' error gave the visitors their go-ahead score. The Golden Eagles' offense caught fire in game two, pouring in eight runs, including a two-run homer in the top of the first, blanking SJCBK in an 8-0 contest.
- Final Score (Game 1): SJC Long Island 4, SJC Brooklyn 3 (10 inn.)
- Final Score (Game 2): SJC Long Island 8, SJC Brooklyn 0
- Records: SJC Long Island (10-9, 5-1 Skyline), SJC Brooklyn (2-19, 1-5 Skyline)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — Calvert Vaux Park
How It Happened (Game 1)
- The Golden Eagles were nearly held scoreless in the top of the first, but a Brooklyn error with a runner on second extended the inning and gave the visitors a 1-0 lead. The Bears answered, finding their groove in the fourth as Anthony Palermo (Patchogue, N.Y./Sachem North) and Kevin Reyes (Bronx, N.Y./AECI) each picked up RBI doubles en route to a three-run inning and a two-run lead after four full (3-1).
- Tyler Crafta singled to open the fifth for SJC Long Island, advanced to second on a wild pitch, and tagged up on a fly-out to right to get to third. Another fly ball drove the run in and brought the Golden Eagles within one. Skyline batting leader Paul Britt drove in the game-tying tally in the top of the seventh, and neither side could gain an edge after nine innings.
- SJCBK's defense came up short in the top of the tenth, allowing the go-ahead runner, Dylan Piscatelli, to reach on a throwing error. Piscatelli went on to steal second, and scored a batter later on yet another Bear error. The hosts went down one-two-three in the bottom half, falling to 1-5 in league play.
How It Happened (Game 2)
- SJCLI wasted no time in game two reaching their leadoff hitter on a hit-by-pitch, followed by a Paul Britt two-run homer for a quick 2-0 lead after one. A bases-loaded walk put up another score for the visitors in the third.
- More Golden Eagles scoring occurred in the fifth, as a balk with runners on first and second was followed by a fielding error to extend the Bears' deficit to 5-0. A pair of RBI doubles in the top of the sixth made it a no-doubter, and the Brooklyn offense never caught stride in a shutout loss.
For the Bears
- Junior infielder Adam Schwartz (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) recorded the Bears' only multi-hit performance of the day in game one, going 2-for-3 with a run (3-for-6 on the day).
- Palermo and Reyes each went 1-for-4 with RBI doubles in game one, while leadoff hitter Justus Acosta (Little Neck, N.Y./Holy Cross) put up a 1-for-3 line with a run and a walk in the same contest.
- Andrew Watters (Brooklyn, N.Y./Xaverian) had a very strong outing in game one, going eight innings allowing two earned runs on eight hits while striking out six. Sophomore Vincent Juliano (Staten Island, N.Y./Tottenville) gave a solid effort in game two, pitching 5.2 frames and allowing five earned runs with four strikeouts.
Next Up for the Bears
- Another Skyline doubleheader at home tomorrow versus Purchase State beginning at noon with live stats at SJCBears.com.