PATCHOGUE, N.Y. — After five scoreless innings, visiting City College of New York jumped out to 3-0 lead and the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team was never able to close the gap taking a 4-2 non-conference loss on Friday evening at the SJC Outdoor Field Complex.
Senior Connor Pasetti (Oceanside, N.Y./Oceanside) knocked a pair of doubles to finish 2-for-3 and the lone Bear RBI. Paul Pellegrino (Brooklyn, N.Y./Midwood), Joseph Titta (Staten Island, N.Y./Tottenville), and William DeLuca (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central) all tossed perfect innings in relief.
- Final Score: CCNY 4, St. Joseph's 2
- Location: Patchogue, N.Y.
- Field: Gregg Alfano Field
- Records: St. Joseph's (7-8), CCNY (5-8)
How it Happened
- SJC Starters: Linitz (CF) Pasetti (RF) LoPrinzi (DH) Condon (C) Rapp (SS) Kennedy (1B) Rehn (2B) Trudden (3B) M. Camerada (LF) Watters (P)
- The pitchers silenced the bats allowing a combined 5 hits through the first five innings.
- CCNY struck first with a solo run in the sixth knocking three hits in the frame.
- A Stephen Peters single in the seventh scored one and the Beavers added a second run in the frame on a first and third situation using a rundown steal attempt at first to allow the runner to score before the inning ended.
- The Bears picked the two runs back up in the seventh loading the bases with Jim Kennedy and Michael Camerada singles sandwiched around a Beaver miscue. A wild pitch allowed Kennedy to score the first SJC run and the bases were loaded again with Kevin Linitz hit by a pitch. Connor Pasetti was also hit by a pitch to cut the deficit to 3-2, but an inning-ending double play ended the threat.
- CCNY pushed their lead back up to 4-2 with a solo run in the eighth but the Bears just managed one more base runner over the final two innings and couldn't get anything going.
- Connor Pasetti knocked a pair of doubles—the only extra-base hits in the contest—to finish 2-for-3. He also had the lone RBI for the Bears.
- Jim Kennedy batted 1-for-2 with a pair of walks and scored a run.
- Michael Camerada, John Condon and Kevin Linitz also knocked a single each.
- Andrew Watters had his first collegiate start and worked two scoreless innings in a no-decision, allowing one hit, striking out one and walking one.
- Paul Pellegrino fired a perfect inning of relief in his second straight appearance.
- Joseph Titta and William DeLuca also tossed perfect frames in the fifth and ninth, Titta also striking out one.
- Vincent Juliano had a scoreless inning of one-hit ball in the second.
Inside the Box Score
- The Beavers batted 8-for-16 with two outs and all four runs scored with two outs.
- The Bears managed just 2-for-10 with two outs and just 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- CCNY outhit the Bears, 10-6.
- Senior Francis Rapp saw his nine-game hitting and 11-game reached base safely streaks halted in the defeat.
The Bear Facts
- CCNY wins their second straight in the series after splitting the doubleheader last season. St. Joseph's still maintains a 9-7 lead all-time.
- The two-run loss is the first non-conference defeat this season by more than one run.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears will return to Skyline Conference action this weekend hosting United States Merchant Marine Academy tomorrow at the SJC Outdoor Field Complex in Patchogue. The league twin bill is set to begin at 1 p.m. with live stats and video available on SJCBears.com