BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team saw another ninth-inning rally come up short as they suffered a 4-3 non-conference defeat to Baruch College on Thursday afternoon at MCU Park.
- Final Score: Baruch def. St. Joseph's, 4-3
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Field: MCU Park
- Records: Baruch (6-10), St. Joseph's (5-4)
How it Happened
- SJC Starters: Linitz (CF) Pasetti (RF) LoPrinzi (C) Condon (DH) Rapp (SS) Kennedy (1B) Schwartz (3B) Gonzalez (2B) M. Camerada (LF) Pallatto (P)
- The Bears scored first taking advantage of a Baruch miscue to open the game allowing Kevin Linitz to reach and later score on a Francis Rapp grounder.
- Baruch knotted the game at 1-1 in the third with a timely two-out single by Matthew Donofrio.
- The Bearcats posted three runs in the sixth, knocking six hits in the frame, Donofrio's two-out double again delivering the eventual game-winner.
- St. Joseph's chipped away at the deficit with Rapp driving his second run in of the game in the eighth with a two-out, infield single.
- Needing two in the ninth, Linitz laced a two-out double that scored Anthony DeFillippo from first after reaching on an error. But the Bears couldn't bring around Linitz to tie the game and Ryan Warner finished the complete game for the hosts with his seventh strikeout.
- Nicholas LoPrinzi paced the Bears out of the three-hole going 3-for-4.
- Francis Rapp drove in two runs with a 2-for-3 day at the dish with a stolen base.
- Kevin Linitz rounded out three with multi-hit games, going 2-for-5 with two runs scored and a RBI. The freshman also knocked the lone extra base hit for the Bears with his double in the ninth.
- John Condon (1-for-4) knocked a single in the first that extended his hitting streak to a team-best nine games.
- Thomas Pallatto earned the start on the mound and worked a perfect frame.
- Paul Pellegrino, Joseph Titta, Kevin White and William DeLuca all tossed scoreless frames in relief, each striking out one and allowing one hit and one walk.
- Charlie Salvador was the only Bear to work multiple innings on the hill allowing one run on one hit over two as the Bears used seven pitchers in the whole-staff effort.
The Bear Facts
- All four losses this season have been by one-run all to non-conference foes.
- Similar to the loss to NYU a week prior at MCU Park, the Bears left the tying run standing at second base.
- Baruch improved to 7-5 in the all-time series, snapping St. Joseph's two-game streak in the series.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
Pending a rainy forecast over the next few days, the Bears are scheduled to return to Skyline play facing sibling rivals and defending league champions St. Joseph's (Long Island) on Saturday, April 1. The twin bill is set to begin at noon at the SJC Outdoor Field Complex in Patchogue with live stats available on SJCBears.com. Stay tuned to SJCBears.com for any schedule updates.