BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Led by a pair of three-hit efforts from seniors Connor Pasetti (Oceanside, N.Y./Oceanside) and Michael Camerada (Staten Island, N.Y./Monsignor Farrell), the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team outhit New York University but their ninth inning rally would fall just short and the Bears suffered their third one-run loss of the season, falling 6-5, on Thursday afternoon at MCU Park.
Camerada nearly tied the game with a blast off the left field wall that ended up a triple, but was later thrown out at home at the plate and the Bears left the tying runner standing at second in the ninth.
- Final Score: NYU def. St. Joseph's, 6-5
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Field: MCU Park
- Records: NYU (9-3), St. Joseph's (3-3)
How It Happened
- SJC Starters: Linitz (CF) Pasetti (RF) LoPrinzi (C) Condon (DH) Rapp (SS) Kennedy (1B) Schwartz (3B) M. Camerada (LF) Trudden (2B) Pallatto (P)
- NYU scored first scoring two runs in the bottom of the first before the Bears cut the deficit in the half with Jim Kennedy RBI double in the top of the second that scored Francis Rapp from first after leading off with a walk.
- The Bears posted a pair in the top of the third to take a brief lead but NYU countered with a two-run blast by Colman Hendershot in the home half of the inning that put the Violets up for good. NYU tacked on two more in the fourth to double up SJC, 6-3.
- St. Joseph's got the bats going again in the seventh against the relief. After the first two Bears went down swinging, a two-out rally started by a Michael Camerada double followed by back-to-back, run-scoring hits by Kevin Linitz and Connor Pasetti, pulled the Bears within one, 6-5.
- Still trailing by one in the ninth, Camerada blasted a ball deep to left field that nearly tied the game, but slammed off the wall and he finished on third with one out. The very next batter he sprinted home on a grounder to short, but was called out in a close at the plate. Pasetti followed with a walk that moved the tying run back into scoring position, but Matthew Millus took the hill and preserved the win for the Violets with a game-saving strikeout.
- The Bears outhit NYU, 10-6.
- Connor Pasetti and Michael Camerada both finished 3-for-4. Pasetti accumulated two RBI, with a run, double and stolen base. Camerada scored twice with a double and triple.
- Kevin Linitz and John Condon have both successfully hit in all six games this season. Linitz collected a hit with a run and RBI. Condon knocked an RBI double in the third.
- Francis Rapp and Jim Kennedy earned the other hits for St. Joseph's. Kennedy belted a RBI double in the second.
- Thomas Pallatto took the loss on the mound allowing four over three innings in the start, striking out three.
- The Bears bullpen of Matthew Rienzi, Kevin White, and William DeLuca kept the Violets off the board in the sixth, seventh and eighth, with three hitless frames.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears will have a day off before a pair of home doubleheaders this weekend. St. Joseph's will christen their new home, American Legion Field, welcoming Penn State Abington in a non-conference twin bill on Saturday, March 25 starting at noon. Live stats will be available on SJCBears.com.