WINTER HAVEN, Fla. — The St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) baseball team was contained to six hits in an an 8-2 defeat to Brandeis on Friday morning, completing their five-game season opening Florida road trip.
- Final Score: Brandeis 8, St. Joseph's 2
- Records: Brandeis (3-0), St. Joseph's (0-5)
- Date: February 19, 2016
- Location: Winter Haven, Fla.
- Field: Lake Myrtle Park
How it Happened
- Brandeis struck first off of Liam O'Connor's RBI-single in the top of the second.
- Start Sam Miller sent the Bears down in order in the second, third and fourth innings.
- With Miller cruising, the Judges tacked on two more in the top of the fifth, highlighted by Benjamin Bavly's run-scoring triple.
- Brandeis opened the floodgates with a four-hit, four-run seventh inning.
- St. Joseph's broke the shutout in the bottom half of the inning. Consecutive singles from Anthony DeFillippo and Nicholas LoPrinzi put men on first and second. Francis Rapp then connected for another single to plate DeFillippo.
- The Bears would add one more in the bottom of the ninth on LoPrinzi's base knock, but the deficit would be too steep to overcome.
For the Bears
- Nicholas LoPrinzi recorded a team-high two hits in four at-bats along with one RBI.
- Francis Rapp finished 1-for-4 and drove in one to break the shutout in the seventh.
- Anthony DeFillippo, Brian Luebcke and John Condon each finished 1-for-4 to round out the Bears' six hits.
- Starter Rosario DiLorenzo suffered the loss, fanning five and surrendering four earned runs in six innings of work.
- Jonathan Schneider tossed a scoreless 1.2 innings in relief.
For the Judges
- Liam O'Connor, Greg Heineman and Jay Schaff did damage with the lumber, each finishing 3-for-4. Heineman plated a team-high two RBIs.
- Start Sam Miller pitched 5.2 innings of one-hit, shutout baseball to earn the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Brandeis outhit the Bears 14-6, with St. Joseph's unable to produce any extra-base-hits.
- Dominant pitching from the Judges sent the Bears down in order in six of the nine innings.
The Bear Facts
- The Bears held leads in three of the five contests in Florida, but their offense has been unable to muster more than three runs.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
St. Joseph's will be able to recharge until Saturday, March 5, when they return home to host Southern Vermont at Padavan-Preller Field for a doubleheader kicking off at 12 p.m. Live stats will be available on SJCBears.com.