AUBURNDALE, Fla. — Junior Mitch Brigando (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) surrendered just one run in seven innings, but the St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) baseball team fell victim to a three-run ninth inning rally from Brandeis, losing 4-3 in Auburndale, Florida as part of the RussMatt Invitational on Wednesday morning.
- Final Score: Brandeis 4, St. Joseph's 3
- Records: Brandeis (1-0), St. Joseph's (0-3)
- Date: February 17, 2016
- Location: Auburndale, Fla.
- Field: Lake Myrtle Park
How it Happened
- Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the second, Brandon Salem connected for a two-run, go-ahead single up the middle, plating Thomas Pallatto and Francis Rapp to give the Bears an early lead.
- In the fifth, Pallotto secured one more insurance run for St. Joseph's with an RBI-groundout.
- Three outs from defeat, Brandeis mounted a furious rally in the ninth inning. Trailing 3-1, a leadoff single and ensuing double put the tying runs in scoring position with nobody out. Ryan Tettemer followed by lacing a triple down the rightfield line, tying the score and placing himself 90 feet from the lead. Connor Doyle then delivered the go-ahead double for Brandeis' fourth consecutive hit.
- Closer Ryan Healy shut the door on the Bears in the bottom of the ninth, retiring the side in-order to seal the comeback.
For the Bears
- Nicholas LoPrinzi recorded a game-high three hits in four at-bats, while Brian Luebcke finished 2-for-5.
- Brandon Salem produced a team-high two RBIs on one swing in the second inning.
- Starter Mitch Brigando was strong in his season debut, surrendering just one earned run in seven innings while fanning six. Brigando was in line for the victory before Brandeis' ninth inning rally.
For the Judges
- Ryan Pocock and Rob Trenk each finished 2-for-4 with the lumber to lead Brandeis.
- Ryan Tettemer led his team with a pair of RBIs, both coming from his game tying triple.
- Elio Fernandez earned the victory, throwing 5.1 innings in relief and allowing just one earned run to contain the Bears. Ryan Healy tossed a perfect ninth to earn the save.
Inside the Box Score
- The Bears collected seven hits to match their opponent, all were singles.
- After gaining the lead in the bottom of the second, St. Joseph's didn't trail again until the ninth.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's falls to 0-3 in the young campaign, but have lost by an average margin of just 1.7 runs. The Bears have plated three runs in each of their games and have not surrendered more than six.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
- The Bears have two games remaining in their Florida trip, both against Brandeis. The sides clash again tomorrow, February 18, at 9 a.m. Live stats will be available on SJCBears.com.